Celebrating 1st Anniversary of Wildlife Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Last spring (pandemic lockdown time) I began designing and constructing a new major addition to my garden—a wildlife pond. On April 27, 2020, the water went in and the creatures began to arrive.

I designed the pond for two major reasons: to attract wildlife (particularly birds) and to enhance the beauty of my garden. The pond has succeeded beyond my expectations; my trail cam has recorded a family of raccoons swimming and playing in the water and a pair of foxes are regular nighttime visitors. But the birds have been the real revelation: since the creation of the pond, we've had visitors we've never seen before in our garden—Cedar waxwings, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Scarlet Tanagers, an Indigo Bunting —and today, for the first time, a Summer Tanager. What is remarkable about all these avian and 4-footed visitors is that we're in an urban area—just three miles from the center of downtown Nashville. And our yard is relatively small — a little over 1/3 acre. That so much could be achieved for wildlife in such a small space gives me hope that even small changes in how we shape and tend our yards can have an outsized impact with helping the green world survive.

The pond has become the vital heart of our garden—it literally reflects the flowers and trees surrounding it and it seems to be a magnet for the birds we love.

So here's commemorating the first year of our Nashville wildlife pond. We can't wait to see the dragonflies return in the summer and we hope that perhaps an owl or two will stop by in the evening and grace the pebbled bank with their presence.

july2020frogpond(2).jpg

IMG_4067b.jpg
20210427-JLE-6140b.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Incredible! I have a pond underway for my back yard. I am building it for the same reason - to attract wildlife. I hope mine will be even half as beautiful as yours!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@bagsmom How's that coming along . Still searching for rocks ?
I have money squirreled away for rocks now! Unfortunately, our family has had a major health crisis come up. We are waiting to see how that all resolves in the months ahead. We might need that money. So - it is still on hold for the time being. I've also had some sort of respiratory/sinus thing since the beginning of April. (Started after pulling lots of old, established ivy way back in the woods. I'm sure I inhaled some kind of mold or pollen, or dirt or something.). I need to get back out in the yard! In the meantime -- the deer aren't waiting for the finished product. They are enjoying the pond - even without water! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 49
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What an incredible garden and pond. Do you have any fish in there? I'm assuming not since it seems like the raccoons would get them. Love that pebble beach entrance into the pond. I'd love to do something like that on mine but it seems like an open invitation for the predators...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What an incredible garden and pond. Do you have any fish in there? I'm assuming not since it seems like the raccoons would get them. Love that pebble beach entrance into the pond. I'd love to do something like that on mine but it seems like an open invitation for the predators...
Thank you for your kind words. No fish at all. All that I've added are plants —mostly natives. I'm hoping to attract some frogs, but none so far. I think you're right about predators: on the trail cam videos I can see the raccoons feeling around as if searching for clams or oysters or something delectable to dine on. But other than dragonfly larva, there is nothing they could feast on—at this point.

Ask a Question