Cement base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be OK to make a base from sand and cement when drylay sand on top of the cement baseto sit my preformed pond on

Attachments

• IMG_20211008_184041.jpg
    IMG_20211008_184041.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG-20210907-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20210907-WA0001.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would still worry about the sides bulging out unless you reinforce them. Is that pine wood along the side (top of photo) if so, you might consider doing that all of the way around. That might be enough but my experience with sand is it tends to settle out and will bulge the sides. I had a raised garden at one time that bulged out which is why I am nervous about what you are doing. Why not skip the preformed pond and make the entire area a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would still worry about the sides bulging out unless you reinforce them. Is that pine wood along the side (top of photo) if so, you might consider doing that all of the way around. That might be enough but my experience with sand is it tends to settle out and will bulge the sides. I had a raised garden at one time that bulged out which is why I am nervous about what you are doing. Why not skip the preformed pond and make the entire area a pond?
Wat about top soil would that be beter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wat about top soil would that be beter
Gosh Craig ish, given the information, I just can't give a definitive answer.
It seems like sand will drain better when rainwater or splashing pond water enters the rectangular box. Dirt could also leave a mess on your patio as rainwater drains. I just don't know. Have you searched on-line videos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

It seems like sand will drain better when rainwater or splashing pond water enters the rectangular box. Dirt could also leave a mess on your patio as rainwater drains. I just don't know. Have you searched on-line videos?
Yes I've got oase pe750 litre preformed pond to go in the frame
IMG_20210920_185052.jpg

I've got a preformed plastic pond to sit in frame in pics mate

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
But what I think @Stephen Noble was asking, is, have you looked up videos online (like YouTube) that could give you some hands on advice, instruction, etc. for dealing with this? Every pond and every pond installation is unique, but there are ways to get ideas and go over their pros and cons. There’s only so much advice we can give over a forum.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Setting those preforms ARE A Nightmare! The preform should only need solid support at the base and at the edging. BUT those sides are vulnerable and weak.
1. Sand on the base is one method . set the tub and shake twist it until level
2. The other choices are expandable foam " great stuff" have a solid base then get a good 1" space and fill as much as you can with the foam.
3 is to place it on Ridgid closed foam Insulation "not the white strofoam"

If your going to be exposed to rains then sand alone is not the best plan without it being locked in placelike your idea or dry concrete added and it will harden in time

Ask a Question