Central FL pond build

Reaction score
Hello,

I finally started building my pond.

It's framed out of wood, 2' deep, 8' wide by 12' long.
pond 812.JPG
pond 814.JPG
pond 844.JPG
pond 855.JPG

I have been so focused on getting this built that I haven't given much thought to what type of filter to use.
I'm still a newbie, but I've been reading here a lot, so any suggestions would help.

I'm going to have lots of plants very few goldfish - no koi

1. How big of a pump do I need and how large would the piping be.
2. Submersible of external?
3. Bottom drain yes/no?
4. need ideas on how to filter it - if at all

I planned on a bottom drain, and to bring the pump supply through the wall but now that that part of the build has arrived I am chickening out about making holes in my liner.

I already have a 1000 gph submersible pump that was given to me, will that be of any use?

Help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is around 1440 gallons if you want to turn the water over twice an hour you would need a pump that is around 2100 gph. I turn my pond over once an hour, it does fine (no koi)
I used 2 inch pvc for most of my lines, a few are 3 inch. Less resistance.

Bottom drain is up to you. I just use a net to clean out any debris.

I prefer external pumps, but you have a nice submersible, but again you would not be cycling your pond water as much as some recommend.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and hoping it will stay cool enough come summer .I always say 2 pumps are better than one and submerged pumps seem to stay cooler and look for energy efficient ones ,I did not do a bottom drain I was to worried about a leak or sucking stuff in .I used a sump pump hose cheaper at 10 dollars and no elbows .I use a pool net also like addy does .Filter build your own plenty of you tube video's .I used lava rock not favored by some but cheap and it works for me .plus I can put plants in my filter to help clean the water .Bottom drains have to be done right that's why I did not risk it ,to expensive a mistake .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look for energy efficient ones .I just have cheap harbor freight ones .But you need to look for ones under 150 watts .

Ask a Question