Ceramic log "waterfall"???

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Hello. I'm adding a second, small minnow pond (50 gal) next to my current 125 gal goldfish pond. I'd like to make a "waterfall" that looks like water flowing through an old log. I've found some ceramic planters online that are open on the top for plants and I'm thinking if I slightly tilt this I can make it so my pump tubing goes in one end and the water would spill out, into the pond, on the other end. I'd have the "log" extend over the edge of the pond to avoid leakage. I'm using a ridged pond liner that will be in the ground. Has anyone done this? Is ceramic clay non-toxic/fish safe? Should I spray it with a clear flex seal so it's not as porous? Any other ideas of what I could use to achieve this look besides this type of planter? Everything I see made for ponds is just black plastic that's hard to hide the edges of. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a really large artificial log in one of my tanks that I purchased about 15 years ago. You might try key wording aquarium logs or pond fish protection logs etc. Mine is a complete log with a couple of holes in the 'trunk' but see if something like this will work:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello. I'm adding a second, small minnow pond (50 gal) next to my current 125 gal goldfish pond. I'd like to make a "waterfall" that looks like water flowing through an old log. I've found some ceramic planters online that are open on the top for plants and I'm thinking if I slightly tilt this I can make it so my pump tubing goes in one end and the water would spill out, into the pond, on the other end. I'd have the "log" extend over the edge of the pond to avoid leakage. I'm using a ridged pond liner that will be in the ground. Has anyone done this? Is ceramic clay non-toxic/fish safe? Should I spray it with a clear flex seal so it's not as porous? Any other ideas of what I could use to achieve this look besides this type of planter? Everything I see made for ponds is just black plastic that's hard to hide the edges of. Thanks.
if you're at all creative/handy, you can make a size-suitable-for-you of something I did for the pond; a faux log made from a tube, some heat-shrink plastic wrap, paint and sealer. Pic below of my creation, both out and in the pond. The idea is you take your tube, wrap it randomly with the shrink wrap thus creating 'bark' with wrinkles, overlaps, etc(you can look on youtube for various illustrations of this with peeps making Halloween logs, trees, etc), heat it lightly, then paint and acrylic sealer. If you want protrusions, before you wrap, take parts of foam noodle/plumb pipe wrap and tape them onto your tube, THEN wrap everything with the shrink wrap.

Hope this helps.

210705 - faux GB log, placement, vid of log in action 2.jpg

210705 - faux GB log, placement, vid of log in action 19.jpg

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
I have a really large artificial log in one of my tanks that I purchased about 15 years ago. You might try key wording aquarium logs or pond fish protection logs etc. Mine is a complete log with a couple of holes in the 'trunk' but see if something like this will work:
Thank you for responding. I actually looked at that exact log and others and bought a fish-hiding one for Inside the pond. But the ones I found had too many holes to be able to hold water for a " falls". I will try re-googling using the terms you suggested.

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
if you're at all creative/handy, you can make a size-suitable-for-you of something I did for the pond; a faux log made from a tube, some heat-shrink plastic wrap, paint and sealer. Pic below of my creation, both out and in the pond. The idea is you take your tube, wrap it randomly with the shrink wrap thus creating 'bark' with wrinkles, overlaps, etc(you can look on youtube for various illustrations of this with peeps making Halloween logs, trees, etc), heat it lightly, then paint and acrylic sealer. If you want protrusions, before you wrap, take parts of foam noodle/plumb pipe wrap and tape them onto your tube, THEN wrap everything with the shrink wrap.

Hope this helps.

View attachment 143863

View attachment 143864

View attachment 143865
Love your pond! I wish I had the room for one that size. Thanks for the suggestion...my husband saw a YouTube video of how to make one like yours only I think they used foil instead of the plastic wrap. I haven't ruled out the possibility of trying to diy my own but was concerned it might not hold up well outside & with water constantly running thru it. And I always worry about paints etc...being toxic to the fish. But I also am open to being creative when I can't find the object that matches my vision

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love your pond! I wish I had the room for one that size. Thanks for the suggestion...my husband saw a YouTube video of how to make one like yours only I think they used foil instead of the plastic wrap. I haven't ruled out the possibility of trying to diy my own but was concerned it might not hold up well outside & with water constantly running thru it. And I always worry about paints etc...being toxic to the fish. But I also am open to being creative when I can't find the object that matches my vision
you can make your log whatever size you wish; just stroll through the big box plumbing aisle...

Acrylic paint is safe, esp if you use a sealer. Also, the water is going THROUGH your log so no real contact except with rain. I put some narrow pieces of foam in the inside, one end only, where the water comes out to give it a better 3D look as it's the main focal point. It's not hard but you do need some artistic vision or are really really good at copying and then you just find one you like and mimic it!

Thanks for the compliment, btw!

smilie sword twirl.gif

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
you can make your log whatever size you wish; just stroll through the big box plumbing aisle...

Acrylic paint is safe, esp if you use a sealer. Also, the water is going THROUGH your log so no real contact except with rain. I put some narrow pieces of foam in the inside, one end only, where the water comes out to give it a better 3D look as it's the main focal point. It's not hard but you do need some artistic vision or are really really good at copying and then you just find one you like and mimic it!

View attachment 143874
You're welcome...it's beautiful :) I'll definitely keep this in mind as an option.

Reaction score
Country
United States

View attachment 143874
That's really fantastic! I bet that lantern gives it a spectacular nighttime effect. We have the most creative people on this site. You should market that idea. You could tell 'em to send their exact specifications written on the back of several $100 dollar bills!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And then there's the real thing wont last as long but when kept constantly
20210815_163620.jpg
wet wood can last many many years
20210626_210240.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Uruguay
Thank you for the pictures. I love your real logs!!! We actually have a large section of a tree trunk with a broken off limb that I think might be perfect but we have to wait until the pond is in the ground to see if it "fits". Hubby is a little worried about it rotting but I say if it works we can do it and if it eventually rots too much we can always redo it later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have Many logs stumps and limbs throughout the pond. Wood leaches very lit5tle when it is constantly kept wet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the pictures. I love your real logs!!! We actually have a large section of a tree trunk with a broken off limb that I think might be perfect but we have to wait until the pond is in the ground to see if it "fits". Hubby is a little worried about it rotting but I say if it works we can do it and if it eventually rots too much we can always redo it later.
If the wood is submerged, it won't rot. If it's exposed to wet/dry cycle or outside the liner in the dirt, it certainly will, but will probably take a long time—species depending.

Fresh cut wood will likely bleed tannins into your water. Could be undesirable. Something that's been sitting out in the sun for a long time will work better.

Ask a Question