Chalky water

Reaction score
Country
United States
When adding calcium chloride to pond to raise GH and water become cloudy, how long does it usually take to clear ?
thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Meyer, Ive been struggling via floating algae in the water chemistry forum. 1000 gallons. KH up but GH about 0. I added a little less than 1 pound of calcium chloride and same amount of epsom salts.
(I had found a nitrate test kit and it was 0).
At this point, I am about ready to drain it so I "went for broke". It does look awful though.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is your present KH?
Ideally GH and KH should be the same. If you need to add more Calcium chloride and epsom salt do so, but at a much lower rate. I would reduce the dosage rate by at least 50%. This will take longer to reach your GH target level but it will not cause an abrupt change in this particular water parameter. I am a firm believer in doing things gradually when altering water quality parameters.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meyer Jordan. Pond is clearing, my kh is still 12 drops - my GH is now 10 drops, ph is still over 9.0.

Assuming I am properly buffered, I want to get that ph down so my lilies and other plants will grow and help cover the sunny water surface.

I know you have to be careful with PH. I have muratic acid. How would you suggest I lower the ph in my roughly 900 gal pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How often are you adding water? What is the pH of this source water?

Before you attempt to adjust pH it should be determined what is the reason behind the unwanted pH level. This is what should be addressed first, otherwise you are just spinning your wheels.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The PH of my source water is between 7.5 and 8. I "cleaned" the pond monthly during Jan-Feb-Mar. I had this problem all of last summer but did not delve into pond chemistry. My father was very ill and the pond was not a priority.

I did receive some "chemicals" from an online pond store as they were trying to help me figure out the problem. This season, I have only added a couple of pouches of microb-lift.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Using my pond vac - I vac "gunk" off the bottom of the pond. Removing debris and water - probably 20% of water each time. I did not do anything to the biofilter, other than rinse the media in pond water while the temps were still cold.

Reaction score
Country
United States
microb lift spring summer cleaner
then regular microb lift

because I had some green algae on the waterfall and nothing else worked he sent me a little Crystal Clear Algae off. But I only sprinkled a little bit of that on the dry waterfall once.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Although MicrobLift products are not strictly chemicals, as @sissy stated, you may have added too much in the way of treatments, but none of these would account for a high pH. On the contrary, these products are bacterial based and one of the products of bacterial activity is Carbon Dioxide which in water forms Carbonic acid which would, if anything, lower the pH.
Something has been introduced to your pond that would result in a high (9.0) pH. If the fish are doing fine,I would just ignore it, If algae is thriving then aquatic plants should do OK. They are quite tolerant of a wide range of pH values.
I would offer that over time the pH will gradually reduce (lower) on its own.

Ask a Question