Chameleon plant not doing well in pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I grew some houttuynia Cordata from root cuttings last year in a pot and I planted them pretty much bareroot in pea gravel in my pond as marginals this past May and has 2 in of water over its crown. I see a lot of red on them which I don’t know what’s causing. They are in full sun. Anyone have experience with these plants as marginals and want to tell me what may be wrong?
5018992C-F7CB-4073-8E41-49F39F9A229A.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The red leaves are natural, it's also known as rainbow plant.
dayum: thought the OP had found a way to kill houttuynia. Been trying for 30 years now. Short of digging up the whole garden and flame throwing every little piece of root left...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine gets more red leaves on the areas of the plant that are in the sun than the parts that are in shade. I always assumed that lots of sun means more red leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m actually more worried about the speckles than the red itself, it looks similar to some fungus disease. I know several of these plants that grow in the ground in full sun but none have these reddish color and speckles. I’m almost wondering if they are in water too deep? Or just adjusting to transplant?
@brokensword I would never dare to grow this plant in the ground unless I install a root barrier with clamps

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i found it doesn't like being submerged but prefers just having it's feet wet and when it gets that not the first year but the second year it sends out thousands of shoots very invasive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’m actually more worried about the speckles than the red itself, it looks similar to some fungus disease. I know several of these plants that grow in the ground in full sun but none have these reddish color and speckles. I’m almost wondering if they are in water too deep? Or just adjusting to transplant?
@brokensword I would never dare to grow this plant in the ground unless I install a root barrier with clamps
yeah, tell me about it! I was both young AND dumb back then...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well this a different one growing as a marginal at a pond I take care of at work. Notice how much better this looks compared to mine
D11D9D54-940F-4E78-B38B-6513AA6AD812.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I pulled them up and noticed alot of its roots were mush, even though there were plenty of new growth emerging. Are these really true aquatics plants? Why would an aquatic plant start rotting in water? I did add more gravel to elevate the surface more and replanted the plants.
Sources do say up to 2 inches of water is fine for them and mine was at around 1-2 inches of water. So I don’t understand why they wouldn’t thrive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's one of those boggy type marginal plants that can handle marshy soil, but doesn't actually grow in water.

Ask a Question