Change color 8 hours

Reaction score
I moving and was told to transfer my koi in a cool I have butterfly and regular koi my biggest one was black and silver I put them in the cooler and 8hours later I open the cooler and he was completely white . He was the only one to change???? I had a portable air filter for the trip they were fine b4 all levels ph mirror nitrate ammonia feed them tetra were they scared to cold because the water didn't cool through the day. Stress coated before I left AnyOne Heard Of This.....

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
can you take a pic of the fish? Changing colors that fast is not common and frankly kind of alarming. Although a Kumonryu will change colors and pretty drastically at that they are normally black and white and in most case your aware of what they are before buying because they will change and they aren't common. Silver wouldn't be a kumonryu that I know of. To me the way you describe it sounds like the fish could have experienced some shock when moving. Update in 12 hours as to what it looks like and if possible post some pics. I'd be interested to see if it has any kumonryu characteristics.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You said you had the cooler lid closed and could the lack of light and the stress of all that was happening cause the problem .I know it would scare the begeebers out of me .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
waterbug, I know that two of the Koi, Beni Kumonryu and Kumonryu will change drastically, and pretty quickly I might add. My Kumonryu went from almost solid white with very little black to almost solid black with white patches in one season. Took more like two to three weeks to really see how much it was changing though, not 8 hours.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i can only say, that my fish get over 8 hours of pitch black in the basement pond every night. and only get flourecent lighting thru the day...over the months, their colors fade but they dont just disappear all together overnight. and their colors quickly richen back up again, once theyre outside again exposed to the sun and summer diet.

Reaction score
It's the 8 hours thing I'm surprised by. And I assume the fish wasn't checked in between so this probably happened in less time. And black going to total white...I'm no Koi expert but I've never heard of that either. In Goldfish yes, but over weeks.

The only creatures I've heard of that can do this and still be alive are those with chromatophore cells. If you put him into a blue box and he turns blue I'll buy him from you ;)

Which Koi did this happen to?

I assume this isn't a massive fungus infection because that would be obvious. And I assume the Stress Coat didn't react with something and go opaque. I mean the fish looks like a normal all white fish? You can see and feel the scales? Is this even a scaled Koi?

If you really wanted to you could treat with salt just to see if the mucus pushed off some opaque coating or something under the scales. But I don't know.

It'll will be very interesting to hear how this plays out. Hope you keep us posted Darryl.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
Oh no. I just found out about this Kumonryu koi. I am hooked and most definitely need one, I mean would love to have one. It is just so fascinating about the ability to change colors. And its main color is really black? I will have to wait till spring since pond water is too cold and l don't have indoor accommodations.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Kougs, was looking at your forum pic and trying to figure out for the longest time what that was a photo of.............now I finally clicked on it and it is your big lemon fish in a bag you are holding. I could not see the fishes head or tail cuz it's cut off in the photo and my brain was not seeing the photo right. Kind of like seeing opposite like a negative or like those pix where something looks like a head one way and a tree or something else the other way,lol.

Anyways hope you find that koi that changes colors and you can post the difference's when it does.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That's the big fish i liked that kougs rescued to JW .I like the others but to me that one looked the biggest .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep sissy I did finally figure out it was the fish but I can't see his head or tail there and it was messing w/ my mind,lol! Could not figure out what the bluish background was either.........looked like the pointy thing at the bottom was some kind of thing holding the yellow thing up balancing it........and the blue turned out to be his legs........oh my! I don't smoke anything either,lol.........not since the 60's anyways,lol! He got some nice fish and I too think that one looks the biggest and very pretty color!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh dear JW you realize your post needs some well ah cleaning up .Pointy thing holding something balancing it POOR KOUGS LOL oh geeze

Ask a Question