changing pond water

Reaction score
I have not read anything here about changing water in ponds like you would in an aquarium to help prevent algae. I have a 60 gallon rain barrel set up to top off my 1400 gallon pond after I flush the pressure filter or to replace evaporated water. When the barrel is full during a rain, the overflow also goes into the pond. I get about 100 gallons per inch of rain from that part of the roof.

Most of my algae problems are brought on by over feeding the fish and I hope flusing some of the nutrients out will reduce the alge. Does anyone do this or see a problem that I may run into.

Reaction score
Changing water to prevent algae is not the reason it is done, in fact, I never really thought of it as an algae preventative at all. Changing a large percentage of water can actually CAUSE an algae bloom. It is my understanding that water changes are done for two main reasons. First, water changes represent an important element of proper goldfish nutrition. Fish can absorb many essential minerals from the water. As time goes on, however, the dissolved mineral content in the pond water decreases and it must be replenished. If the level of minerals in the water drops too low over time, the fish can actually suffer mineral depletion. (Incidentally, this is why keeping fish in distilled water will eventually kill them.) Second, and this is the flip side of the first, minerals not absorbed by the fish can build up to toxic levels. Minerals dissolved in water remain as the water evaporates. Just replacing evaporated water could cause problems. If there are any trace elements in the runoff from the roof these could build up to toxic levels. Doing a water change removes the same percentage of dissolved minerals as the percentage of water you remove.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, that is very interesting information. Assuming that the roof runoff water is not putting too many minerals into the pond, it is essentially distilled water and replacing the evaporated water with it is OK. I guess that flushing out great quanitites of pond water this way, however, is not good. In the future I think I will use the water to only top off the pond.

Incidentally, I have been using this type of roof runoff water for years for my carnivorous plant collection and they are thriving. These plants need only rain water or distilled water. Minerals in hard tap water will kill them.

Thanks again for your valued and informative information.

Reaction score
A word of caution: Rain water is FAR from distilled. Each raindrop forms around a particle of (God only knows) dust in the air. When enough of these “dusty” little drops collide with each other, they become too heavy to remain in the air current. They then fall as rain.

I would think that if you siphoned the water off the top of your collection barrel, it would be better, as much of the dirt would have settled to the bottom.

The main reason for this post was some new, and VERY interesting, information I just read on the subject.

More importantly it is to get something out of the tank that would hinder the growth of the fish. A fish expels a growth inhibitor while breathing, and that growth inhibitor remains in the tank/pond, and with enough accumulation due to lack of water changes it hinders the fish in his growth, meaning the fish will stop growing. With water changes the inhibitor will be diluted and reduced in the fish’s environment, and the fish can continue to grow. As an example one koi keeper told us about two specific koi ponds in his neighborhood. Both ponds had about the same volume of water, with more or less the same amount and sizes koi in there, and since they were in the same neighborhood, the same amount of life foods available to them like mosquito larvae and daphnia.
One pond had a regular filter system with it, the ones we would have in a smaller version on our tanks - mechanical and biological filtration. Water changes were done on a regular basis once a week, always the same amount of water.
The other pond also had a filter connected, but it had a continuous system where the water would be drawn from a well, conditioned and pumped into the pond, while the overflow constantly was putting water back into the environment. This pond had constantly fresh water coming for the koi.
Both koi keepers fed their fish the same food (HiFeng growth food for koi), but the koi in the pond with the constant supply of fresh water had much bigger koi in there in a much shorter period of time. The growth inhibitor in that pond is constantly being swept out and away from the fish.
Now, you might say, these owners bought fish from different sources and that is one explanation on the different growth rate. But they took it further, they both bought a dozen goldfish from a local koi importer, from the same breeder in China, and each of the two put his fish into a separate pond on their properties. Same thing happened again - the goldfish in the pond with the constant fresh water grew bigger faster than the ones in the pond with the weekly water changes.
This does not mean we should perform daily water changes in our tanks, but it means one thing - keep up the routine water changes, do not be lax in it, do a little extra for your fish, and one more thing. Food and more feedings are not the only thing that you need to know about if you want to have big fish. The growth rate of fish is a complex story, and involves a few other things than just putting excessive amounts of food into our tanks and hope for the best.

See what happens when you ask questions….. WE ALL LEARN SOMETHING!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Frequent water changes are necessary for all the reasons previously stated. The highest concentration of pollutants and toxins are near the bottom. So I generally turn off my circulation while purging my pond of water.

Reaction score
That was an interesting bit of info on the growth inhibitors being diluted with water changes, thanks for taking the time to write about it.

I do about a 10% water change every 10 - 14 days and my fish seem to grow really quickly. I use the water from the water change to feed my bamboo plants and arborvitaes and they are growing like crazy too!

Ask a Question