changing routine for holiday

Reaction score
we feed our fish 3 times a day but are going on holiday soon.
We have got kennel accomodation for 4 of our rescue dogs who will stay together in one big kennel and our 5th will come with us due to him being as yet a social misfit who wees on everything or eveyone who doesnt understand him..... hmmmm yes it sounds awful but he is getting there!!

I have done a deal with a pal from work who is young and in love who is going to house sit in return for some time alone from parents with his love. (oh how I so would not like to be on the flat/house market now..)

Anyway, they will feed and talk to the rabbit/gerbils and feed and close in the hens/geese.
But they can only feed the fish once in morning and not again until very late at night.

Is this okay for two weeks?

should they put in more food and just leave it to sit in the morning?

ps. they are both too scared to give the rescue snake water so he is going in his house to my work place where I have managed to find someone who dares to refill his water bowl.

isnt it funny how we all have our little fears.

anyway....

Is it okay to feed the fish just once a day?

Is it worth feeding them late at night or should we stick to morning only with a larger amount being fed?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They will be fine with a once a day feed, imho, I usually let mine go (goldfish) without when I was out of town, they did fine on algae and bugs.

Reaction score
They'll be fine. I actually wouldn't overcompensate by having the sitters throw more in as it may go to waste, and with you being away...headaches could follow.

Reaction score
I just left for a week or so and I had my neighbor come over every 2 days and throw some food and peas to the fishies.....I have left them for 3 days without feeding....since they snack on my plants and the algea anyway

Reaction score
thank you for your replies and sorry I havent replied sooner.

Our house sitters came tonight and know the animal routines and house basics.
I have only managed to log on now so will tell him tomorrow to only feed the fish once and only the usual amount for one feed.

thank you every one.

Ask a Question