Changing tank water -- a follow-up

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Back in June I posted, asking for suggestions on easier ways to do indoor-tank water changes.....

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/how-do-you-do-your-tank-water-changes.14739/

Just wanted to post a follow-up. I have been using a small, submersible pump and some poly-tubing. Still working on my "method," but it's working out very nicely, gets the changes done quickly, with hardly any mess or fuss! It was such a simple and easy solution!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where is the water going that you are draining from the tank? How are you refilling the tank?

What about vacuuming the gravel or bottom of the tank?
No gravel -- bare bottom. Water from tank goes to kitchen sink. Water to tank is a 5 gal. bucket, filled from tap (with de-chlor added) at kitchen sink.

Once I've emptied what I need from the tank, I transfer the pump into the bucket, where I can continuously refill as needed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No gravel -- bare bottom. Water from tank goes to kitchen sink. Water to tank is a 5 gal. bucket, filled from tap (with de-chlor added) at kitchen sink.

Once I've emptied what I need from the tank, I transfer the pump into the bucket, where I can continuously refill as needed.

So your adding water to the bucket from the sink (with pump in the bucket) and it's taking the water back through the tubing to fill the tank? No lifting buckets necessary?

What are you doing the hold the tubing in place at the sink so the water goes down the drain and not all over the place?

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So your adding water to the bucket from the sink (with pump in the bucket) and it's taking the water back through the tubing to fill the tank? No lifting buckets necessary?
That's right! And when I'm through, just roll the cord and tubing up, and they store in the bucket.

The only problem I've had was forgetting about the siphon effect. Once, when the pump was still in the tank, I unplugged the pump but didn't take it out right away. A few minutes later I noticed that the water level in the tank was lower than it should have been.....oooops!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bettasngoldfish I just saw the last part of your message about holding the tube in the sink. That did happen the first time. As it happens, we have a cabinet next to the sink with the kind of handle that I can thread the tubing through the handle and that holds it in place. Or you could place something heavy on the tubing -- I'm using that black 1/2" tubing they sell in Lowe's & Home Depot's pond dept. It's pretty stiff, so I don't think it would hurt to put something on top of it to hold it in place.

Pump size: not sure. It's a small fountain pump from Home Depot. I'll have to look at it to see the gph. I know it's not the smallest one as I wanted small, but also wanted to be sure it had enough head to move the water to & from the sink. In the car right now [just helped son move his stuff to college], but will check that when I get home.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
nice idea :) I wish my sink is a bit closer to the tank :(

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
image.jpg
@bettasngoldfish Here ya go.... This one's from Home Depot, but the pkg. gives the GPH info, so you could get one anywhere.

Last edited:

Ask a Question