Chapter #1: TurtleMommys turtle bog

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
(OMG, I read this and boy, do I sound like a “Karen,“ LOL!).

This isn’t a “build” thread, but rather am looking for practical ideas for constructing a satellite bog inside of a box turtle habitat. The idea is to have a pond for my goldfish that will connect to a smaller, satellite bog that’s inside of a box turtle habitat. I am open to new ideas, as long as they are consistent with a box turtle habitat. I will be posting pics past builds as well as drawings I’ve made along the way.

I have made 2 previous turtle bogs. Both had their good points and bad points.

1. Box turtles are not aquatic turtles, but they do require a fresh water source — no more than a few inches deep
  2. box turtles are climbers and diggers, so there can’t be any “weak links” / ESCAPE PROOF 100%
  3. their habitat will be separate from the pond — they won’t have direct access to the pond
  4. previous turtle bogs: a) was a part of the pond, b) was connected to the pond via PVC conduits.
  5. would consider a stream-return system
  6. i am keeping my boys separate from my girl, so this has to be considered in the build
  7. turtle’s satellite bog will have to be somewhat elevated in order to have gravity return to the pond
Ideas, suggestions? DISCLAIMER: I may not seem receptive to some ideas, but keep arguing your cause……I just need to be able to figure things out…..and sometimes the simplest solutions are the best…..I’m a hard-headed German (well, that’s the majority of my DNA…). AND if you happen to come up with something I’ve already tried, I’ll say so, and give the reasons it did or didn’t work, BUT will be open to ways to improve upon or modify any ideas you come up with.

Here are a few drawings of the last time around, and how I overcame obstacles (such as keeping the boys and girl separated)

FIRST: my concept of a satellite bog….
BA9692A5-2BD4-4A52-A8E8-140D12C86AFA.jpeg

SECOND: how I connected the pond to the bog….it looks good on paper and it did work, but was more practical than attractive. I elevated an area in side the turts hab and built an approx 6x3 foot bog. The fence separates the sides.

D3BC4BCA-D241-4965-949E-5169CF402A26.jpeg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And here’s how the first one was done — I made a false bottom out of PVC pipe and garden lattice. The turtle part was a beach. Turtles like it, but I was afraid the “beach” part wouldn’t hold up (I like to walk out on it), plus there was “dead space” under the beach.

F114C902-4ACB-4F31-BC01-E66B6713DD2E.jpeg

962A9D5D-B274-42F4-9BB3-7777CB36B180.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
My first idea was simply to build a pond with two normal bogs, and fence around each of those bogs ( of course leaving some grassy space outside of the bog too for the land side of things ) and then return the water via a stream or waterfall.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My first idea was simply to build a pond with two normal bogs, and fence around each of those bogs ( of course leaving some grassy space outside of the bog too for the land side of things ) and then return the water via a stream or waterfall.
Please, can you draw a picture for me? I truly am a visual person — the brain doesn’t comprehend what the eyes can’t see.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Please, can you draw a picture for me? I truly am a visual person — the brain doesn’t comprehend what the eyes can’t see.
for sure! I really wish there was like a 3d pond modeling software, that would be the dream. But for now good ol computer screen and stylus work just great.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
here is a little diagram of what I was thinking: ( not really to scale, the pond probably wouldn't be as big and the bogs probably wouldn't be as small )
Screenshot 2022-04-19 124504.jpg

here is how I would make sure the turtles could not escape through the stream: ( side profile )
Screenshot 2022-04-19 124740.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I live about 200 yards from a freshwater canal and occasionally have box turtles traveling through my yard. How much space do they need?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A raised bog how it has the build up on all four sides is an easy way to keep them contained and at the weir/ waterfall you can simply make spaces for the water to get through but no turtle could

you could even build the say posts from stainless steel and run them into the bogs gravel and over to the weir so that way you have all kinds of area for water to get out just incase some plant matter start to clog an are it can come up from below

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
A raised bog how it has the build up on all four sides is an easy way to keep them contained and at the weir/ waterfall you can simply make spaces for the water to get through but no turtle could

you could even build the say posts from stainless steel and run them into the bogs gravel and over to the weir so that way you have all kinds of area for water to get out just incase some plant matter start to clog an are it can come up from below
I like the idea of simply building on the sides of the bog with something like a berm and rocks. That would probably give the whole thing a more natural feel. The only thing I see with that idea is where would the turtles have land space?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am trying to figure out how to PLUMB the turtle bog(s). I have had a Skippy filter from day 1 — no comments….it has worked OK, but is one aspect I can’t wait to get rid of once we get the new pond/bog/turtle-bogs built. Over the years I have modified the Skippy and have learned all of its idiosyncrasies — 10 years of togetherness, LOL.

So, throwing this out there — I have drawn out the basic set up for my Skippy. I can’t see a reason why this concept wouldn’t work for a satellite bog….. Ideas, comments….? Oh, and I have a ball valve inline to adjust water flow to the bog, and would have a clean-out pipe.

C802EA3D-A547-49CE-89E5-6538469F0698.jpeg

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I am trying to figure out how to PLUMB the turtle bog(s). I have had a Skippy filter from day 1 — no comments….it has worked OK, but is one aspect I can’t wait to get rid of once we get the new pond/bog/turtle-bogs built. Over the years I have modified the Skippy and have learned all of its idiosyncrasies — 10 years of togetherness, LOL.

So, throwing this out there — I have drawn out the basic set up for my Skippy. I can’t see a reason why this concept wouldn’t work for a satellite bog….. Ideas, comments….? Oh, and I have a ball valve inline to adjust water flow to the bog, and would have a clean-out pipe.

View attachment 150018
is that not a bog filter? other than the water just being dumped out at the bottom rather than being dispersed that looks like the same thing to me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
the difference is 50 % there's no plants and gravel is a believe a bit finner is filtering because of the low flow and size

Ask a Question