cheap border soiless plant ideas

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Come spring I'll be finishing the redo on my backyard pond, aside of my lillies, and some hyacinths in floater cages(pvc hose and fine mesh netting) to protect their roots. i'm looking for a list of bare root plants that i may add to the cages and tuck in between the border rocks, maybe ones that can be carried right out into the soil around the pond. watercrest ,parrots feather,seem to be good choices, but variety is the spice of life. I am in zone 6, i want perrennials, and varacious growers that wont hurt the liner 45 mil firestone. I'd like to have ground cover or "rock" to soften the edge. and a couple of ideas for ouside the pond ground covers would be great also. which ones are best for water falls.

Reaction score
creeping jenny is great and water celery comes in 2 colors. water iris is very colorful and like wet feet. Most marginal plants can be grown without soil.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
how about water crest, or water chestnut im told you can buy these at any grocery store as clippings and they do well bare root also.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
parrots feather, why didnt i think of that... oh thats right, i did , i even mentioned it in my original post. LOL

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You guys up north might not have the out of control prob we have down here ...
Watch what you plant..

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
parrots feather, why didnt i think of that... oh thats right, i did , i even mentioned it in my original post. LOL

haha i must have missed that:banghead3:...lol...maybe some sort of moss...unless you mentioned taht too:grumble:...lol

Reaction score
DrCase said:
You guys up north might not have the out of control prob we have down here ...
Watch what you plant..

what grows out of control...i wish that i had something that would do that...i cant grow anything

Ask a Question