Cheap diy spawn mops

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Okay, yes, I am a newbie.

Is a spawn mop where the mom lays the eggs, or where the baby fry go to hide? Or both?

Sandy

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
DrDave said:
The eggs are deposited there.

So something about the "mop" attracts the female goldfish to lay the eggs there? Then you take the whole thing out to protect the eggs, or for those who don't want more babies, they dispose of them?

Thanks for the info.

Sandy

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I made a few of these, but I'm underaged, so I used empty water bottles instead of corks. No spawning yet, but I'm simulating a mini-winter in my indoor tank, and then when I warm the tank maybe they will get some use!

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
A friend of mine brought over an old style mop head that has a four (4) inch ring at the attachment end that would make it perfect to place a six (6) inch rubber ball into for floatating. I will give it a try this spring. I will keep you posted.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
koikeepr's wine cork idea may be better since you will get something out of the work you put into making it:lol::regular_waving_emot:lol:

Reaction score
this sounds like a great idea, my fish spawned last year but only 3 survived as i only have a lilly bed for them. i have also been told to get a stringy mop head, this works well also.
my fish are also looking fat this year, and should be expecting babies again. how many fish survive when the brushes/D.I.Y are placed into the pond.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
This is a great idea but I must be doing something wrong or I got the wrong type of yarn. How do You get it to sink? Mine is just floating on the surface. It's been in the water for a week now.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
now i make floaters and sinkers... pipe insulation for floaters...river rock for sinkers.

joesandy1822 said:
So something about the "mop" attracts the female goldfish to lay the eggs there? Then you take the whole thing out to protect the eggs, or for those who don't want more babies, they dispose of them?

Thanks for the info.

Sandy
the mops mimic seaweed, but they wont just use the mops...you'll see them all ovwer everything. liner,rocks, plants, pots, hoses, etc...

Ask a Question