Check out my pond!

Reaction score
Here is another update - look at my pond! See - I really do have fish in there! I can't tell you what happened - but I came out this morning and it was clear all the way to the bottom.

Finally, after much frustration, we drained the pond about 1/2 way and refilled it with water from the other spigot that isn't connected to our water softener. Was that the secret? Who knows - it's been 3 days or more since I've done anything at all to the pond so I don't know what trick worked.

What I do know is that we bought a 40w UV lamp and plan to install it ASAP. Hopefully, we can maintain this level of clarity - it was beautiful to sit out there and watch my fish this morning while drinking my coffee - haven't been able to do that in a really long time!

Thanks everyone for your advice~! I'll post some pics after the sun comes out and shines down on the pond - that way you can see just how clear it really is!

Attachments

• DSCN0602.JPG
    DSCN0602.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN0603.JPG
    DSCN0603.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCN0604.JPG
    DSCN0604.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCN0605.JPG
    DSCN0605.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 377
Reaction score
Here is another update - look at my pond! See - I really do have fish in there! I can't tell you what happened - but I came out this morning and it was clear all the way to the bottom.

Finally, after much frustration, we drained the pond about 1/2 way and refilled it with water from the other spigot that isn't connected to our water softener. Was that the secret? Who knows - it's been 3 days or more since I've done anything at all to the pond so I don't know what trick worked.

What I do know is that we bought a 40w UV lamp and plan to install it ASAP. Hopefully, we can maintain this level of clarity - it was beautiful to sit out there and watch my fish this morning while drinking my coffee - haven't been able to do that in a really long time!

Thanks everyone for your advice~! I'll post some pics after the sun comes out and shines down on the pond - that way you can see just how clear it really is!

Reaction score
I recently had water that was green and murky also. I installed my UV light and it was crystal clear with 48 hours.

You have a very beautiful pond. Hook that baby (uv) up!

Reaction score
I recently had water that was green and murky also. I installed my UV light and it was crystal clear with 48 hours.

Reaction score
So you were using soft water in there before? If you have gotten clarity that you are happy with without the uv light than why add the expense?

Reaction score
So you were using soft water in there before? If you have gotten clarity that you are happy with without the uv light than why add the expense?

Reaction score
The Juice said:

I never thought that a water softener would have an effect on pond water - and I'm still not sure because I don't know if that did it or if the biological filter just finally kicked in - but I'm attaching before pics so you can appreciate the difference.

I'm still not convinced that we are out of the woods yet and we still have a couple months of summer to go. I'm installing the UV light as an insurance policy against potential future outbreaks. Besides, we've already got it - might as well use it.

Attachments

• Pond Cropped 2.jpg
    Pond Cropped 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 306
  • Pond Cropped 1.jpg
    Pond Cropped 1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
The Juice said:

I never thought that a water softener would have an effect on pond water - and I'm still not sure because I don't know if that did it or if the biological filter just finally kicked in - but I'm attaching before pics so you can appreciate the difference.

I'm still not convinced that we are out of the woods yet and we still have a couple months of summer to go. I'm installing the UV light as an insurance policy against potential future outbreaks. Besides, we've already got it - might as well use it.

Reaction score
3qtkidz said:

Thank you very much! It has come with many, many hours of stress and work but it's worth it to see the beautiful fish!

Reaction score
3qtkidz said:

Thank you very much! It has come with many, many hours of stress and work but it's worth it to see the beautiful fish!

Ask a Question