check out what I found in my backflush water

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I was doing regular pond maintance this morning, cleaned the pre-filters checked everybody over fed and decided to go ahead and do tommorrows backflush today since my wife is having surgery tomorrow and I'll be there with her all day. I opened the valve waited for the water to start back flushing turned off the pump and waited for all to stop. closed the valve and started the filter back up again. I just happened to look over where all the water had dumped and something caught my eye. Walked over and look what was swimming in the grass! It's about 3/4 of a inch to just shy of a inch long. Bright mettalic yellow. So I guess my koi spawned and I missed it!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sorry forgot to add pics

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 467
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 483
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 373
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 393

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a cutie! glad you saw the lit fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So from now on you'll be checking that spot in the grass for little pretty fish I'm thinkin :lol:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
pondbuilder13 said:
i cant believe he made it thats great and very nice yellow i hope he keeps that bright color

I can't believe it made it through the pre-filter, Must have been while I was cleaning it? through the UV light, possibly could have gotten around it, then pass through the pump, and lived in the filter for long enough to get almost a inch long, Before being spit out. I got to think of a special name for this little guy and Lucky has already been taken. I'm hoping it keeps the bright yellow too, I can see some metallic in the head. And yes JW, I will be checking every time from now on although I don't have a clue how this guy even made it in there. Then if that's not weird enough I have at least two fry in my 300 gallon pond, no clue what they are. the weird part is the only thing in that pond is 6- 4"-5" Koi, I seriously don't think they could have had fry and the only other fish that were large enough to possibly spawn was back in early spring we bought some Koi online, One made it one didn't. the only thing we can possibly think of if that is the case is the big Sanke that didn't make it was a female and released eggs before she passed away and Sunny fertilized a few eggs. I go out every night with a flash light. Only seen one each night but I think I have seen at least two different fry, One looks to be slightly larger than the other. I'm keeping tabs on them and waiting to see what they are.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cute little guy and lucky you looked .I always empty my filter into a bucket just in case and besides that my flowers love the stuff and my patato's I planted a couple of weeks ago must love it too already got some from them and great tasting too

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nemo has been taken, he's the little guy that got his pectoral fin damaged in shipping, he's orange white and black and my daughter-in-law named him, Phil/Fil, I don't know, Free Willy, That's about the best one so far, LOL, would have been cool if it was black and white HUH?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
cute little guy and lucky you looked .I always empty my filter into a bucket just in case and besides that my flowers love the stuff and my patato's I planted a couple of weeks ago must love it too already got some from them and great tasting too

Sissy it was pure by chance I looked, That's where I release most of the water for my Iris's It just so happened it swam toward the yard and not into the Iris's, If it had I would have never seen it in there. Most of the plants on the patio I use pond water too but usually just get it from the water fall with a cup for each hanging basket.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lucky lou he is because you saw him and being that pretty too .Sure he will grow into a handsome dude too

Ask a Question