Checking in from Central Pennsylvania

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

Thank you for all of the information you have already posted on this forum. From going through past posts I think I have a pretty good idea of how this is going to go together but i figured i might as well make an account and start posting.

My wife and I have recently decided to place a pond in an unused part of our garden. I am going to be posting in the general construction area of the forum and looking for feedback on my design. I plan on doing all the work myself and am looking at a two tier set up with a small waterfall using a liner I got for free and a galvinized stock tank. The top section will be a bog filter that i am hoping will take care of all of the filtration needs for the ponds.

I will be posting more information and pictures later today between phone calls as I am currently working from home.

USDA Hardiness Zone 6b

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

We love helping people build their ponds!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We would love to see pictures of your build, so post some up as you progress!

What material is your free liner made of? I hope it's not PVC. PVC is terrible. It will fail within months. 45 mil. EPDM is the preferred choice and some have used HDRPE, which is also good but not as flexible as EPDM.
Galvanized metal is toxic to fish, so if you use that stock tank, put a liner in it first.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Take pictures as you go — it’s fun to see how different ponds progress. Do you have any ideas yet as to how big you will go? Fish or no fish? And have to agree with @poconojoe about the liner material. Also, check to make sure it’s fish-safe and doesn’t have any small holes or tears if it was a freebie. Are you planning to line the galvanized tank, as well?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592407720784.gif
@Chester
Would love to watch your project in action!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello! I'm also a new member and also in central PA. I guess it's the season to undertake new outdoor / garden / pond projects :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
We would love to see pictures of your build, so post some up as you progress!

What material is your free liner made of? I hope it's not PVC. PVC is terrible. It will fail within months. 45 mil. EPDM is the preferred choice and some have used HDRPE, which is also good but not as flexible as EPDM.
Galvanized metal is toxic to fish, so if you use that stock tank, put a liner in it first.

Hi Pocanojoe, will you please check out theses pictures and tell me if this is the terrible PVC?

Attachments

• IMG_20200617_190925.jpg
    IMG_20200617_190925.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 92

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi Pocanojoe, will you please check out theses pictures and tell me if this is the terrible PVC?
Nope that is a preform it will be fine. It needs to be supported well. I had some in the ground and they cracked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome and hapy scaping , Theres probably a reason they gave it away but several folks here have the preforms and have had success with there set up

Ask a Question