Chickens at Pondside

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We're having hot days and nights here in Nashville and our chickens (Leggy, Buffy, and Sussie) have discovered that the new wildlife pond is an excellent place to drink. Although the pond has become a magnet for songbirds to bath in, the chickens are more demur about venturing in. However, the queen chicken (a Cream Legbar we cleverly named Leggy) has determined that standing in the water on Pebble Beach is a most satisfying way to cool off.

IMG_2354.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My daughter and SIL just got chickens. Never knew there was such a thing as a Turken. Yes the one w/the bare neck is the Turken.
Took him forever to build it just right and it has a net over the top.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

7.JPG

6.JPG

I named this one for them, Marilyn, as she is blond and a real poser in the sunshine :love:

5.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My daughter and SIL just got chickens. Never knew there was such a thing as a Turken. Yes the one w/the bare neck is the Turken.
Took him forever to build it just right and it has a net over the top.

View attachment 132386

View attachment 132387

View attachment 132391

View attachment 132388

View attachment 132389

I named this one for them, Marilyn, as she is blond and a real poser in the sunshine :love:

View attachment 132390
What an expansive run for chickens—with sunshine and shade and plenty of good dirt for dust bathing. Lovely setup, but I wonder if the netting on the top will be enough to keep raccoons out? Since so many things love to eat chickens, guarding against predators is the main purpose to a coop/run. There are valuable sources on Backyard Chickens for instructions on how to safeguard chickens; your daughter might find it helpful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you @poconojoe! I designed it that way because I wanted to make certain that animals go in and out had easy access (on at least two sides). Birds, including our chickens, seem to appreciate it.

Ask a Question