Chihuahua Goes to the Vet Today

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yesterday I noticed my little angel limping on his front right leg. It seemed to get worse last night and still bad this morning. I checked everything on his leg and did not notice anything. So I took him to the vet this morning.

They warned me that they were going to move his leg, sholder, ankle, toes until he yelped to see where is was hurting him. Well my tough little guy just stood there not showing any pain. They put him down and he wouldn't walk on it. Examined him some more and nothing. He refused to act like it hurt.

So they gave me some anti-inflamatory pain meds and said keep him off it and keep an eye on him.

But they did tell me he is in wonderful health and extremely well behaved. They said his doesn't have any of the "normal" health or attitude issues Chihuahua's have.

They confirmed he is a perfect little angel :)

Now for his leg to start feeling better.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My hunter did that and they found out it was his thyroid and he was a wiemerwiener and they told me that it comes from over breeding and he was on thyroid meds. until he passed away .He kept licking his paw and acting like it hurt and then coul not walk on it at all and the vet .was running every test and came up finally on that test .I had to give him physical therapy for 3 months so he could walk on his legs again .Hope they find it and it is nothing but a sprained ankle .My pee wee sprained his a couple of months ago and the vet put a brace on it for a month and now he is fine ,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gosh I hope it's not his thyroid. He isn't licking it just doesn't want to put weight on it. Poor baby. My husband said it's probably atraphy (sp?) because he never has to use his legs LOL.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Poor little guy............maybe get him a hamster wheel for exercise when he feels better,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hunter did not put on weight either and he was only a year old and lived to be 12 years old before his kidney failure .I gave him his meds. every day at the same time and vet said he was amazed he lived that long as dogs seem to suffer kidney failure to the meds faster than people do .I think part of it was from his sister passing away the year before .I could tell after she passed he was depressed and i tried to keep him from being sad and keep him from missing her ,but they were raised together and were very close .She passed away from cancer after her fight with it .They are now in doggie heaven and i miss them dearly .Harley loved it when i went grocery shopping ,she loved emptying the bags and seeing what was bought .She would always take the rolls of toilet paper into her dog bed and use them for pillows ,even though she had a pillow she loved ..You had to beg her for it back and then you had to close the bathroom doors or she would steal it back .I hope your doggie is OK and pee wee licked his leg when he sprained it too .The vet told me it was normal for them to sprain them once in awhile jumping off furniture and landing the wrong way .They are all little angels in my eyes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What kind of health issues do they have? I just recently adopted a 12-14 year old from our local shelter. I hope your little one's leg gets better soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The vet said they normally have knee caps that pop out, mine does not. They normally have something wrong with thier skull between their eyes (she used a techinical term I did not understand) but he doesn't have that. And she said normally by age 4 they have teeth rotting, Chihuahuas have horrible mouths. But his teeth are fine, just need a cleaning which I scheduled for 4/3. I can't wait to get rid of his poo breath :) I feed him at least 1-2 greenies a day though and the vet said that is probably why his teeth are better than most. He is a greenie junkie.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Chihuahuas my mom raised and there health starts with the mother .I make sure pee wee eats his veggies and gets exercise ,but he is still a chunky donkey .Chihuahua's are like great danes and need to exercise there legs often and cold bothers there joints and so does things like jumping off of beds and other higher furniture .I have steps i built by my bed ,mostly because it is extremely high .I usually don't let the dogs on the bed but pee wee is so tiny he needs the extra warmth

Attachments

• bedroom 013.JPG
    bedroom 013.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 276
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Beautiful bedroom Sissy. My little Roxie has a lot of teeth missing. I bought her food that has soft nibbles in it. The Vet said her remaining teeth were horrible (and so is her breath) but said because of her age, it would be risky to clean them. We walk her every night, she has a lot of energy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wonder why Chihuahua's mouths are so much worse than other breeds? My Pitbulll never had his teeth cleaned and at 12 yo his mouth was in better shape than my 4 yo Chihuahua. Wierd.

pondlover

Life is good today!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sissy is he on the bed? That is a gorgeous bedroom suite! My Shih Tzu has a set of stairs so he can get on the bed. Oh what we will do for our pets. :heartpump:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wonder why Chihuahua's mouths are so much worse than other breeds? My Pitbulll never had his teeth cleaned and at 12 yo his mouth was in better shape than my 4 yo Chihuahua. Wierd.

This is my first Chihuahua, so I am new to this mouth funk thing. We've had 2 Rotts and a Terrier, never had dental problems with them. But, we gave them things like the greenies and other things that are suppose to help with their teeth. I'll have to do a little research on this dog to see about the teeth thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He was but you can't see him .he was hidden between the pillows .I buy pee wee those dog breath chew bones and my mom used to make her chihuahuas chew treats from some kind of meat from a cow .But i don't eat meat and that was over 30 years ago .Back when they did not spoil there dogs as much ,but my mom did .She only allowed her females to have a litter every 2 years until they were 6 years old .She always brushed her dogs teeth also and if any one bought puppies from my mom she would show them how to do it .I brush pee wees teeth also and it really helps no matter the breed dog you have .Arthur was an older rescued and you should have seen his face when I brushed his teeth for the first time ..Thank you for the complements on my bedroom .I gave all my furniture away in NJ and bought all new when i retired here.Cheaper that way and I thought easier ,but so much to pick from since a lot of the furniture manufacturers are here ,not so easy .Had lawn chairs in the living room for 8 months. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
They are all little angels in my eyes

Yes they are. I would have a heard of Chihuahuas if I didn't think my Siamese would kill them all in their sleep. LOL My Siamese still has not forgiven me for bringing little Leo home 4 years ago. My Siamese holds a grudge.

Ask a Question