Childproofing? Metal Cover ideas....

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a house with a pond and would like to childproof it as I have 2 small children. If I can't figure out how to do it affordable, I will have to fill-in the pond, but I would love to try to keep it. I have found some great products in England and would like to find something similar or figure out how to get something made in the U.S.. Here are the webpages:

http://www.elitepondcovers.co.uk/

http://www.pondsforschools.co.uk/home/index.php/standard-designs-for-existing-ponds

I have found only one thing in the US that is similar:

http://www.katchakid.com/pool-safety-options.htm

However, I want something that I made of metal -- not some sort of rope and not something that can dip into the water.

Questions:

1) does anybody know of any companies that make this type of product in the US?

2) what type of metal can I get a custom metal manufature in my area to use that would be safe for the fish?

Thanks,

melanie

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello & welcome!

Wow, those 2 sites from the UK have some really neat stuff! Now, why can't we have cool things like that over here [I know, you're asking the same question! :) ]. Attractive with access to the fish, and maybe even predator-proof....

It might cost a fortune, but maybe you can contract with someone who works in metal and have a cover custom made for your pond. I would think it would be pretty heavy, but probably not an issue where child safety is concerned. What shape & dimensions is your pond?

Maybe you could even spark an idea for a business in metal pond covers!

Reaction score
It all depends on the size and shape of your pond. If it's a rectangular pond, check out a farm store. They have big gates made of welded metal that could be modified to fit a pond. If it's irregular in shape, your best bet is a nice fence with a secure gate surrounding the pond area. Fences like these look very nice.

Reaction score
Thank you all for responding! I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of metal is not good to use as a cover -- it seems that copper is bad for the fish.

What about iron -- I think it is bad also as it can rust into the pond -- right?

what about stainless steel?

Aluminium?

Other suggestions?

Thanks so much for all your help and advice!

Melanie

Reaction score
I have the same challenge. My son is two and I'm building a pond. I'm doing two things

1 putting an attractive 3 foot fence with childproof gate around the pond, and
2 using pond less waterfall grates to cover deep end just in case. Fish will have a spot to swim under, but with grate in place nothing is deeper than 18 inches.

Reaction score
Here's what the grate looks like. Might not work for you as the pond is already built. I designed this so the cinder blocks would fully support this. Supposed to support 400 lbs. I'll remove when son gets older and fish grow image.jpg

Photo is upside down. Can't figure out how to rotate it. Sorry

Ask a Question