Chinese algae eaters in my pond question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got some Chinese algae eaters for my pond but upon getting home and doing some research I wonder if I maybe shouldn't have gotten them. Does anyone have any experience with them in their ponds? All I'm finishing is info of them in fish tanks. I'm reading that they can be aggressive / territorial and latch onto fish and either scar them horribly if not kill them if not removed. I have quite a few goldfish, minnows, 5 small koi, and 3 eleven inch koi. I've also read that they don't tolerate colder water temperatures well either. I live in Phoenix Arizona so I'm wondering if my pond will get cool enough in the winter to take care of the problem for me? There is absolutely zero possibility of catching these suckers in my 3500-ish gallon pond. I put in 6 of them. Anyone have any suggestions or advice as far as wether I screwed up by getting them or if I should be ok?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The usually can not tolerate extended periods of water temperatures less than 50F. Pray for cold weather this coming Winter and keep your fingers crossed until then.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The usually can not tolerate extended periods of water temperatures less than 50F. Pray for cold weather this coming Winter and keep your fingers crossed until then.

So you are saying they are a bad addition then? Lol

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Its not so much temperature, they are a very hardy fish.
They reach up to a good foot long or so as well, and yes are VERY aggressive. (personal experience in my noob days)
They latch on the side of a fish like a lamprey and suck their scales (as you said) right off the fish, then rip some of the flesh. Once this happens your fish slowly dies due to fungus growth and a huge untreatable (basically) open wound.
I suggest you get rid of them somehow or another or you can say goodbye to all your other fish, idk why Chinese algae eaters are even on the market. once they reach about 3 or 4" they begin to get aggressive.
You cannot wait until this upcoming winter to remove them, they get aggressive as juveniles. By the time winter arrives this year (in my area Arkansas) the fish will be six inches long or so most likely, fast growers.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought one and had to give it away ,not sure why it was so aggressive but it would attack the other fish .very aggressive and lasted only 4 days in my pond before I had to remove it .I was warned my fault

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Good luck, but hey good riddens lol idk why they even sell them, no one keeps them on monsterfishkeepers.
you could try but, idk I would just return em. Up to you

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The more they eat the bigger they get .The one I gave away years ago I saw last year and he was big he looked like he was over 2 foot long and very broad .He has not bothered the catfish they have .At least that is what they told me

Reaction score
Country
United States
The more they eat the bigger they get .The one I gave away years ago I saw last year and he was big he looked like he was over 2 foot long and very broad .He has not bothered the catfish they have .At least that is what they told me

Wow!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
what i read about them is scary they suck other fishes slime lol vampire

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
what i read about them is scary they suck other fishes slime lol vampire
When I made the mistake of buying one in my early days, he did just that to my honey gourami, he lived but man it was rough... Very very rough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
When I made the mistake of buying one in my early days, he did just that to my honey gourami, he lived but man it was rough... Very very rough.
:mad: he must b thinking its kissing gourami

Ask a Question