Chloramine?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
The city has just notified that they are going to add chloramine to fight some bacteria in water supply, instead of mere chlorine, and that water in fish ponds and aquariums has to be treated. Does chloramine (apparently some combination of chlorines and ammonia) get neutralised by the same usual treatments as chlorine — or something special has to be added?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i cant speak for all dechlorinators but only for the one i use...Tetrapond aquasafe, it removes both, and is rhe only one ive ever used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most people in the koi world use Amquel, Ultimate, or ChlorAmX for chloramines.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I cant say its better but a $10.00 bottle of tetrapond aquasafe treats 2500 gals removes chlorine,chloamine, and provides a stress coat, and nuetralizes heavy metals

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
cerceau said:
The city has just notified that they are going to add chloramine to fight some bacteria in water supply, instead of mere chlorine, and that water in fish ponds and aquariums has to be treated. Does chloramine (apparently some combination of chlorines and ammonia) get neutralised by the same usual treatments as chlorine — or something special has to be added?

Why don't you call the city and find out what they recommend to remove Chloramines? I would be interested to discover what a chemist recommends.
Sodium thiosulphate is the key active ingredient of dechlor and it doesn't matter who's name is on the container.:banghead3:

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Why don't you call the city and find out what they recommend to remove Chloramines? I would be interested to discover what a chemist recommends.
Sodium thiosulphate is the key active ingredient of dechlor and it doesn't matter who's name is on the container.:banghead3:
You could also probably give seachem a call. They are local to me and did a reef chemistry presentation at our reef club meeting and were very informative. They even covered this very subject. Basically since chloramine is a mixture of clorine and ammonia the sodium thiosulphate only works on the chlorine part which leaves ammonia. The dechlorinators that treat for chloramines also have chemicals added to treat the ammonia. If you call the water department they are going to tell you to use GAC but this still leaves ammonia which is not good for fish

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
tetra pond also does not contain sodium thiosulphate.. its active ingredients are: organic chelating compounds; sodium hydroxymethane sulfate; organic colloids; and polyvinylpyrrolidones. BUT.. it does say its been reformulated.

Ask a Question