Chlorine in water

Reaction score
Country
United States
I finally got my 5000 gal pond drained, and cleaned (it was disgusting). Seeing we are on well water, I decided to buy 2000 gals, which has chlorine in it. I have my waterfall going, and 2 other pumps splashing into the water. I have added some well water - which will be added slowly over the next week. How long before the chlorine evaporates from the 2000 gals? I have only added one plant to the pond - the rest need to be repotted and will be added this week. I also have a bottle of beneficial bacteria to add - when should I add that. The goldfish hopefully will be added as soon as the chlorine is gone. There are no stores around me that sell items to measure chlorine. Hope someone can help. Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Order a bottle of Seachem Safe. For around $30 you have enough powder to last a LONG time. You add the powder when adding the chlorinated water and it takes care of the chlorine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Audioenvy - This is the only time that I am adding chlorine water to the pond. The only reason I purchased it is because we are on well water, and 2000 gals of chlorinated water was a big help in filling my 5000 gal pond. Thanks for the reply

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Should clear up in a few days or so. Get a test kit. The chlorine is 2/5th of the pond. I am not saying fish safe atm but plant safe to start. Imho

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Angel. The chlorine level, I was told is just high enough to pass state levels - they add the chlorine to their well water, and is not as high as city water levels. I was hoping that with the pumps going, water splashing, sun shining, and adding my well water - that it would evaporate, and be safe for the fish in 3 or 4 days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you Angel. The chlorine level, I was told is just high enough to pass state levels - they add the chlorine to their well water, and is not as high as city water levels. I was hoping that with the pumps going, water splashing, sun shining, and adding my well water - that it would evaporate, and be safe for the fish in 3 or 4 days.

State level safe is not fish level safe. My opion and opion only the residents of the forum will chime in with a better reply.

If possible let the pond cycle a few days before adding the fish. The plants should and most likely be good and will help clear out the chlorine.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
that it would evaporate, and be safe for the fish in 3 or 4 days.

Three or Four days with the water circulating should be sufficient time. See if you can get your money back on the beneficial bacteria. Unless you purchased live Nitrifying bacteria, adding this will be a waste of time and money. It will be of no benefit in supporting your pond 'cycling'.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Meyer. The water was delivered Saturday evening, got one pump going then, the rest on Sunday. I am adding my well water every day to slowly fill the pond, so that should help with whatever chlorine is left, and thought I would add the fish on Thursday - thats 5 days. My goldfish are not liking the plastic 6 ft swimming pool they are in. Hope I never have to do this again. Thanks for everyone's help

Ask a Question