CHOOSING GOOD QUALITY FISH FOOD.....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know that everyone has their favorite BRANDS of fish food. And/or the ones they avoid.

But in general:

WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR ON THE LABEL TO KNOW YOU'RE GETTING WHAT YOUR FISH REALLY NEED?

And what DO fish need as far as ingredients, additives (vitamins, minerals, etc.)?

NOT talking about "specialty" foods [like to enhance color, etc.] -- just a basic fish diet for general care.
Have read a few articles, but some seem to contradict each other [and some were written by the manufacturers, so they tend to be biased]. What got me started on this thought-path was when I had teeny fry and I read the labels on the foods I had. Some listed as the first ingredient things like "dairy" products, "grain" products. Then, maybe down about 4 or 5 ingredients were things that LOOKED healthy such as "greens" or "animal" by-products. For babies, I figured they needed more protein than adults would need.

So, back to my original question....... What DO fish need, and how can you shop for this?

Reaction score
I did a lot of research over the years on DOG FOOD ... Do a websearch on the words of "what's really in dogfood" or "how to read dogfood lables" ... Once you understand the basics of what a fish would eat on its own, and how to read the ingredients, you'll be able to sort through the various articles you found.

Ask a Question