Chris from canada

new pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
How beautiful! The rockwork is just great. Where did you find all that rock? Wish I had rock like that.
Barb
Thanks @BarbO ...I actually found it for free on a Facebook group...lucked out...he was ripping out a rockscape in his backyard...as long as I came and got it all out of his yard, it was free for the taking...about 5 truckloads full...

Was sore for days after that. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Awesome!!! You give me inspiration.

Are all your pond plants in containers? Not sure what part of Canada you're in - what do you do to winterize your pond and plants? I live in high desert - 90s during summer days, can get down to high 30s/40s during winter days, rarely in the 20s at night, occasional light snow. I've had goldfish survive the winter with light ice on the running waterfall (before the raccoons discovered them).

I think I would need to do something like that to keep out the raccoons - straight sides with a a foot or two above the water line and the water around two feet deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Awesome!!! You give me inspiration.

Are all your pond plants in containers? Not sure what part of Canada you're in - what do you do to winterize your pond and plants? I live in high desert - 90s during summer days, can get down to high 30s/40s during winter days, rarely in the 20s at night, occasional light snow. I've had goldfish survive the winter with light ice on the running waterfall (before the raccoons discovered them).

I think I would need to do something like that to keep out the raccoons - straight sides with a a foot or two above the water line and the water around two feet deep.
Wow really? An inspiration...thanks so very much...

This is a brand new pond for me so no clue what I'm doing for winterizing just yet...should probably get on that as I'm in Toronto ontario Canada and it tends to get a wee bit cold...LOL

My current plan is to cut back the bog and pond plants, cover the pond with netting (to catch leaves) and run the pond through the winter (with a backup deicer and aerator)...

No issue with raccoons yet (and they are here as my neighbour gets them in his pond)...not sure if they are "trained" to stay away from my late puppy (160 lb bull mastiff we had put down in the winter) or if they just aren't interested in my fish yet...

Ask a Question