Chris...new pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If @addy1 or I had to worry about removing bog plants in the winter, I think we'd both give up the ponding game. We share the same "live or die - your choice" mentality when it comes to our plants!
Same here, and that goes for any outdoor plants, not just those in the bog!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
When I’m tired like I was posting my reply, I forget my geography and that parts of Canada are further south than northern Minnesota! I went to bed for a nap and woke up 12 hours later!
Be cautious mixing wild caught fish with domestic fish, set up a quarantine tank so you can check for parasites. And there are products you can use, I’ll see if I can find the bottle I had. I can’t recall what it was, but when I got shubunkins, the pond guy sold me a bottle to add to their holding water for 30 min while it temp adjusted to ensure no parasites might carry over. I ended up screwing up previously by adding wild caught fish to my pond, and lost many fish to anchor worms.
Good point @jaimeb...not planning on putting anything fancy from a fish standpoint...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Update...its alive!!! Cannot believe how fast it cleared up too!!!

Trying to post a video...not 100% finished...but so happy with it so far...

Need to cover up the waterfall spillway at the top and finish off the surrounding landscaping...

Attachments

• 20200615_201457.jpg
    20200615_201457.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 148
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Nice rock's! I'm out in a part of oklahoma with little to no rock, so that's going to make that part of my new pond a pain. If I'm lucky, I'll get to take a few road trips to go find some.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Can anyone tell me what normal evaporation should be expected?

Surface area is roughly 10x15...temperature today was between 20-25 Celsius (getting up to 30 c the next few days)...rocks seem to wick up a bunch of water also...added about 2" this morning...

Normal to have to add 1-2" every couple of days?

I can see all my connections (no leaks)...waterfall and bog liner overlaps pond liner by anywhere from 3-4' and all downhill into the pond...

I did add about 3 full wheel barrels of gravel into the bog...would that suck up some water?

Newbie leak "uncertainty"...LOL

Also, any reason I can't use rain water to top up the pond? I have a 550+ gallon rain catchment system that waters my garden and such...

Thanks in advance

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
May I ask why your don't run water to your bog in the winter @addy1 ?
I have a external pump, I pull it for the winter. If we loss power it would be history. I actually enjoy the down time from the pond. And all do great without it running from around Nov to March more or less.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
"Normal" evaporation is different for every single pond. There are charts that will tell you the "pan evaporation rate" for your area, but you have to factor in so many things that are unique to your pond. I'd give it a few weeks and see if you consistently lose that much water daily. If it varies from one day to the next, then it's for sure not a leak. If it's consistent, you'll maybe want to investigate further, but you've already covered the basics - look for wet spots, check the plumbing, look for low edges... But honestly - it's rarely a leak. Waterfalls, wind, heat, humidity, plants, rocks... all kinds of things can affect the water level in a pond. You're right - common newbie freak out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
"Normal" evaporation is different for every single pond. There are charts that will tell you the "pan evaporation rate" for your area, but you have to factor in so many things that are unique to your pond. I'd give it a few weeks and see if you consistently lose that much water daily. If it varies from one day to the next, then it's for sure not a leak. If it's consistent, you'll maybe want to investigate further, but you've already covered the basics - look for wet spots, check the plumbing, look for low edges... But honestly - it's rarely a leak. Waterfalls, wind, heat, humidity, plants, rocks... all kinds of things can affect the water level in a pond. You're right - common newbie freak out!
Appreciate you saying that @Lisak1 ...was sort of freaking out a bit...glad I'm a pretty normal newbie...you put so much work in...would suck to have to take it out and start over...

amazed how much water the rocks wick up...super cool...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m sure there is a formula for that somewhere. Air temperature and humidity are factors, as well as wind and large rocks. I do know that you can see it more on smaller volumes of water than you can on larger volumes. Watch for plants, too. They can wick water out if they are in just the right spot, as well as using the water themselves. Some plants are water hogs.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am putting around a hour of water a day into my big pond. And there is no leak, hot , dry, winds, all factor in . A ton of water hungry plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Well, I filled the pond up last night...and it was low again...

Turned off the pump and filled it...left it all day...didn't budge...

So I hunted for where it could be pumping out...think I found it...just means ripping out the foam in the waterfall and fixing it...not the worst...

I hope

How reliable is waterfall foam from a "sealing" standpoint? Trustworthy?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
It allows water to seep out. Not a good water seal
My first attempt with it obviously wasn't very good...didnt let it sit long enough before putting gravel on it...probably trusted it a little too much...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't use it to seal i.e. keep water from going through, it won't work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How many gallons do you think you loose a week or day lisa?

Ask a Question