Chris...new pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Before you go ripping it apart Why not try using the foam as a backer. i used foam in a tricky spot between a couple very jagged rocks and then i coated the foam with a quality caulking. i mean i coated the damn thing gave it a real good coating and it is dry as a bone. then to give the caulking a little insurance i painted it with flex seal . Now flex seal is not that durable but i am only using it to keep uv and constant soaking of water off the caulking for longevity

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Before you go ripping it apart Why not try using the foam as a backer. i used foam in a tricky spot between a couple very jagged rocks and then i coated the foam with a quality caulking. i mean i coated the damn thing gave it a real good coating and it is dry as a bone. then to give the caulking a little insurance i painted it with flex seal . Now flex seal is not that durable but i am only using it to keep uv and constant soaking of water off the caulking for longevity
@GBBUDD good point...not ripping the whole thing apart but had to alter some of the waterfall rocks and manipulate the liner a little bit...

Any issue using great stuff foam? I have tons of the big gap filler cans...i know its yellow but would be hidden...thoughts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How many gallons do you think you loose a week or day lisa?

If you had asked me that question six or seven years ago, I would have known the answer. But as you know (or will soon) when you have rain catchment, your pond level never actually goes down. The level of the water in the basin goes down and we only know we're low when we hear the pump start to chug. Depending on how much rain we get, we may add water every week, or we may add twice a summer. We kept careful track in the beginning because, like every new pond owner, we were SURE WE HAD A LEAK! Once we realized that the amount we needed to add varied according to a lot of factors - heat, humidity, wind, rain, how fast the waterfall was running (variable pump allows us to speed it up or slow it down), how many plants we have and how big they are... lots of factors. Eventually you just learn your pond.

Although our water is REALLY expensive so my husband still complains every time we have to add water. We bought an autofill to put on the pond and then just forgot to plumb it in when we were doing the build - I regret that every time I have to listen to him rant! What he can't see won't hurt him!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any issue using great stuff foam? I have tons of the big gap filler cans...i know its yellow but would be hidden...thoughts?
I have used it, again not as a water tight seal, but to direct water in my stream. I tossed gravel in it when wet , still there 10 years later.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Although our water is REALLY expensive so my husband still complains every time we have to add water.
Luckily we are on a well. I lose a lot of water when it is hot and dry. The plants suck it out. I just add water via a irrigation system. If not needed it just flows out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF I remember correctly you still have that float or pressure valve do you not ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD good point...not ripping the whole thing apart but had to alter some of the waterfall rocks and manipulate the liner a little bit...

I honestly don't know , what i do know is spray foam years ago was major taboo any homes that used it found out latter if the crew was not very very very careful they had major leaching in the air issues so i believe the foam today is a hole lot less toxic once dry. EVEN THE BLACK WATERFALL FOAM IF IT SITS IN THE SUN GETS YELLOWY GREEN

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IF I remember correctly you still have that float or pressure valve do you not ?
No just a auto water feed via a irrigation system. Turns the water on travels down a buried hose and fills the pond.
My AZ pond had a float valve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I was browsing plants earlier and ran across Water Hawthorn which apparently do well in cold water in zones 3-9 (will go dormant in summer in higher temps). I'd try them if my pond was a little bigger/deeper (I'm in Vermont). I find it's normal for me to have to add 1-2" of water every couple of days. Rain water is ideal, no need to treat it with a conditioner (but I use municipal water so I dump in a little Seachem Safe when I top mine off every 2-4 days.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hi I am from southern Alberta and been wintering my ponds a very long time. Nice to meet another Canadian.
About that waterfall and dropping water levels. It all depends on many factors, wind, and waterfall may be evaporating lots and or leaking. Also hot windy weather ponds can also evaporate lots. Keep an eye on it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
Hi I am from southern Alberta and been wintering my ponds a very long time. Nice to meet another Canadian.
About that waterfall and dropping water levels. It all depends on many factors, wind, and waterfall may be evaporating lots and or leaking. Also hot windy weather ponds can also evaporate lots. Keep an eye on it .
@callingcolleen1 nice to meet you also...turns out I did have a sneaky spot where I was pumping water out...meant having to take the gravel out of the bog to fix but has been perfect ever since...

Introduced some pretty comets and some fathead minnows...everyone seems pretty happy...

I am super pumped with how it turned out so far...still searching for some driftwood to add...

Appreciate everyone and their insight...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Canada
@Xtopher3 , do you have any update photos? If interest you can also start a showcase in the showcase section. It makes it convenient for others to view your pond w/o having to hunt and peck ( like the way I type, haha) through the various threads.
@IPA I'm just finishing up the surrounding landscaping but will do that for sure...thanks

Ask a Question