Chromatiaceae bacteria

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Which we all know thrive in oxygen-deprived water.
If I may suggest a few easy tips to keep this from happening to you and helps keep your water cooler.

Simple moving water stays cooler, much like my MO as to keep my water moving during the winter, to reduce water from freezing.

Fountain pumps are relatively cheap, and easy to install.
The 1st picture shows one of my fountain pumps shooting water just 6 feet into the air, thus as the water falls it cools.
In the 2[sup]nd[/sup] picture another pump shoots water directly across the pond.

Again my MO water moving is best for your fish and water quality.

Attachments

• DCFN0001.JPG
    DCFN0001.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 352
  • DCFN0002.JPG
    DCFN0002.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 375

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Chromatiaceae bacteria, Which who knows? What is it,? I've heard of many types but this one is even new to me. I agree 100% that good water movement does keep a pond culler, I do agree that it greatly reduces anaerobic levels lower. But can you give us some insite on this kind of bacteria and what it does.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
Unlike plants, algae, and cyanobacteria, Chromatiaceae does not use water as their reducing agent, and so do not [produce oxygen]. Instead they use hydrogen sulfide, which is oxidized to produce granules of elemental sulfur. This in turn may be oxidized to form sulfuric acid.
Members are found in both fresh and salt water, and are especially common in stagnant pools, lakes ponds. Bad for fish.I'm just learning about this hahahaha But I do hope someone more educated than I will chime in.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Many years ago, in the aquarium hobby and early ponding years you had good bacteria and bad, The salt water came along and more were investigated and what there function were, Now I've learned there are even more in different scenerios. always intresting to learn the new ones and what they do.

Reaction score
Digginponds,

I wonder if this bacteria, Chromatiaceae, is the bacteria that I was trying to research regarding my cabin's well water. I posted some information about this yesterday here on the forum in response to a member's question about why one of the ponds they maintain "smells like a sewer". A possible suggestion from me related to my experience with private wells that were high in iron content within the water. A bacteria thrives on the iron and expels hydrogen sulfide gas as their waste byproduct, which, indeed, smells like rotten eggs.

The bacteria that I refer to is actually in the ground water, but when the water is first pumped out, it doesn't usually smell bad. I think it is active underground, but the H2S gas created dissolves and leaches out through the soil, so you don't notice it right off, usually. In a contained or closed system like your household plumbing, it builds up, concentrates in the piping and starts to stink very bad.

I wonder if this, Chromatiaceae, is the same bacteria that I was speaking of? Or at least a relative of it? I never knew what the name of it was, but it sounds like the same culprit.

Gordy

Reaction score
Digginponds,

How much of a temperature reduction have you measured?

Here in Phoenix we're familiar with evaporative cooling as many homes use it. We only use evaporative coolers for a few months in the spring when humidity is low. In July humidity gets above 50% and the coolers aren't as effective.

But I'm concerned with adding even a waterfall to my next pond for fear of exposing more surface area to 110F air temps. The net loss vs gain in temp might not be good. I will probably just have to do the experiment here to know for sure but I'd be interested in any data.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Digginponds,

How much of a temperature reduction have you measured?

Here in Phoenix we're familiar with evaporative cooling as many homes use it. We only use evaporative coolers for a few months in the spring when humidity is low. In July humidity gets above 50% and the coolers aren't as effective.

But I'm concerned with adding even a waterfall to my next pond for fear of exposing more surface area to 110F air temps. The net loss vs gain in temp might not be good. I will probably just have to do the experiment here to know for sure but I'd be interested in any data.

I had a 4 foot high water fall on my arizona pond, it helped keep the water around 85 degrees even in the hottest months we have there.

Ask a Question