Cichlids in ponds?

Reaction score
So I've been reading that one can keep south american cichlids in garden ponds, provided that there is good filtraltion and heat. Anyone ever try this? I have 80 gal right now that is just running with no fish. I had wanted to get some bluegills, but now it's too late for that.

Reaction score
Cichlids need warm waters, and if you can afford to keep that going all year them you can do whatever you like. Cichlids are made to be appreciated from a side view, however. I don't think you'll really get a good vantage point from 'em topside in a pond.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Cichlids need warm waters, and if you can afford to keep that going all year them you can do whatever you like. Cichlids are made to be appreciated from a side view, however. I don't think you'll really get a good vantage point from 'em topside in a pond.

Well that's true. I don't know I already have a KOI pond, but just wanted to try something different.

Reaction score
unless you have the funds to keep that pond at 80 degrees all year, you might want to consider otherwise. Plus, cichlids require a higher dosage of salt in their water than I believe a koi would be happy in.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
unless you have the funds to keep that pond at 80 degrees all year, you might want to consider otherwise. Plus, cichlids require a higher dosage of salt in their water than I believe a koi would be happy in.

what is the proper amount of salt in a cichlid tank? I have a 75GL and a 10GL with cichlids and how can I test how much salt is in the tank. I do add salt but have no idea what the proper amount is or how to test it.

Reaction score
if you know how many gallons of water you have, you should know how much salt you are putting in. You can't just wing it. DoDad is selling a salt meter if you're so inclined to find out. I don't know any other way to find this out without starting afresh and figuring out what your ratio of water is to how much salt you're putting in.

Reaction score
I have been adding the recommended amount of salt for topical fish. But I didn’t know if there was an exact amount they recommended for cichlids

Reaction score
yes, there are precise amounts by % for every fish that requires salt. I used to raise Malawi Cichlids, more important than salt, they like a higher Ph level. There are special cichlid salts that help do this.

But this is not a site for cichlids, so you'll have to google that or find a forum related to Cichlids. You really can't mix koi and cichlids--they are not a natural combination of fish as their needs are different, foods are different, temps are different, water chemistry is different, etc.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it seems water temp is your biggest concern... this video has koi,demasoni chichlids,red zebra, yellow labs, and frontosa chichlids in it..the water is kept at a 7.0 (neutral ph) and tropical salt levels are maintained.there are catfish and barbs in the pond as well...any questions, maybe contacting this guy or one of the others on youtube who have koi and chichlids in the same pond would be the way to go..
[ame]

Ask a Question