Citters chewing thru pond pump hoses

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have something, probably bunnies or groundhogs, chewing holes in my 2" pump in\out hoses that extend above ground for about 1 ft x 8" connecting in-pond filter to external pump. Any suggestions on either a hose type, covering or hose protector that works against chewing?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Put a 3 inch piece of PVC over it. I need to protect electric lines etc from critters. Even chewed through our propane line..............now metal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You didn't mention what type of hose you are using.
The idea of sleeving a piece of ridgid PVC over it is a good one. I would do that.

@addy1, I had a critter chew my barbecue propane hose also! I think it was a groundhog because they love eating all the violet leaves around there.
I have my barbecue connected to the house propane line. I now have the new hose off the ground, away from the foraging critters.

I always shut the valve off at the house whenever we're not using the grill. That's a habit I've gotten used to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have something, probably bunnies or groundhogs, chewing holes in my 2" pump in\out hoses that extend above ground for about 1 ft x 8" connecting in-pond filter to external pump. Any suggestions on either a hose type, covering or hose protector that works against chewing?
I had voles chew through my pond liner. Vole repellent is mostly mint extract. I have mint planted in my garden so I cut stalks and place them around the pond. Even transplanted a few nearby. No holes since then.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I had voles chew through my pond liner. Vole repellent is mostly mint extract. I have mint planted in my garden so I cut stalks and place them around the pond. Even transplanted a few nearby. No holes since then.
Mint extract supposedly repels mice too. I have used it around my garage door. I dont know if it worked, but I haven't seen any signs of them lately. I also used the spray-in expanding foam that contains repellent into any cracks or voids.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a critter chew my barbecue propane hose also!
Ours chewed through the line that feeds our instant on hot water heater and our ventless propane heater. I had told hubby I was smelling something wrong, it came and went, open area and breezes. Then he finally checked the tank we had loss over 250 gallons of propane. It was a small hole, luckily we don't smoke, had not used the BBQ. We called the propane company told them we had a leak it was fixed with a metal line within hours. Pricey little hole

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ours chewed through the line that feeds our instant on hot water heater and our ventless propane heater. I had told hubby I was smelling something wrong, it came and went, open area and breezes. Then he finally checked the tank we had loss over 250 gallons of propane. It was a small hole, luckily we don't smoke, had not used the BBQ. We called the propane company told them we had a leak it was fixed with a metal line within hours. Pricey little hole
Wow! That was so dangerous!

When I was a kid, I had a mean stepfather. I started living on my own at 16. After a while my mom finally left him, after a nervous breakdown 3 month hospital stay.

Anyway, a couple years later that mean stepfather blew up his house!
He was living alone in the house.
I really believe he did it for spite so that no one would get anything.
They found later that the natural gas dryer hose was disconnected and the valve was on. The house had natural gas piped in, so it was almost an endless flow.

It was a disaster zone. The Red Cross was setup there, the home on one side was falling down and houses all the way up the street had doors and windows blown out.

They found the mean stepfather blown onto a neighbor's front lawn. His chest was like jelly. He didn't make it to the hospital.
Luckily only one other person was injured. A kid next door had his leg broken.

My theory is he closed the house up tight, let the house fill with gas and he pushed the doorbell button at the front door. The doorbell was a chime type that sparks when you energize it. BOOM!

It's like a plane bombed the house. It was nothing but splinters. Literally splinters. Nothing standing. Not one 2x4 or piece of furniture. There was a refrigerator blown into the field out back, probably 50 yards away. There was a coil of BX (metallic armoured) cable hanging in a tree across the street. A coil of BX is heavy!

It was on the national news. People heard the explosion from miles away. It was crazy!

So, everyone please be careful. I've seen what gas can do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh I know! After that incident I alerted him again, smelled that smell. Made him come and test the connections. But this time a dead opossum right up by the house, eaten, probably the fox got it.

We were lucky it was a outside leak, with our winds the smell never really stayed for any length of time. We came home one day, calm, I told him check now there is something wrong, the smell was strong. That is when we found the bite mark and the leak. All lines are metal pipes or metal lines now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@poconojoe: Holy crap. Natural gas is wildly dangerous stuff when let off of its leash. A few years ago, an excavator in Portland hit a gas line while working near downtown and didn't give notice quick enough. Not sure what sparked it, but it ended up totally demolishing the closest building and doing major damage to the entire block, both sides of the street. About 10 people injured but luckily no deaths. Knocked out power to thousands of customers including part of a major hospital campus nearby.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe: Holy crap. Natural gas is wildly dangerous stuff when let off of its leash. A few years ago, an excavator in Portland hit a gas line while working near downtown and didn't give notice quick enough. Not sure what sparked it, but it ended up totally demolishing the closest building and doing major damage to the entire block, both sides of the street. About 10 people injured but luckily no deaths. Knocked out power to thousands of customers including part of a major hospital campus nearby.
Crazy dangerous!
That was worse than my experience. Probably because it was in a more populated area and he probably hit a much larger gas main.

My stepfather's episode was on Staten Island, NY in 1987. I found the old newspapers in my basement yesterday.
It was on the front page of the New York Post, Daily News and Staten Island Advance. I didn't have the New York Times, but it probably was there too.

Ask a Question