Clarifier cant fully kill all algae

Reaction score
I seem to be having a problem with my tetra brand, 9 watt ultraviolet clarifier. It is rated for 1800 gallons, and my pond is just under 2000 gallons. So its a little over the rating of the clarifier, but not really. You'd think that it would just take a little longer. But I have a 2000 GPH pump, and I am thinking that the clarifier might not be having enough time to really kill the algae when it flows through it. Then again, you are supposed to pass the entire water volume through your filtration system every hour, right? So I have to have a pump that is flowing that much.

I am know the clarifier is working, cause I can see it glowing at night. Also, I put some algae killer in there and it killed roughly half of the algae. And, it has not returned. I think the clarifier is able to keep it at that level, but it can't seem to finish off the rest of the suspended algae. What should I do? Get another clarifier rated for more water volume and put that in line as well? Or is there some good algae killer that yall would recommend?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
my pond is 1200 gals...i use a tetrapond 1200 gph pump and 9 watt U.V....clears my pond to crystal clear in a few days!!!...i only use it a week or so every spring! make a manifold to cut the flow thru the U.V in half....that ought to help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How old is the UV?
When was the last time you changed the bulb?
What size pump are you using?
BennyLava said:
I seem to be having a problem with my tetra brand, 9 watt ultraviolet clarifier. It is rated for 1800 gallons, and my pond is just under 2000 gallons. So its a little over the rating of the clarifier, but not really. You'd think that it would just take a little longer. But I have a 2000 GPH pump, and I am thinking that the clarifier might not be having enough time to really kill the algae when it flows through it. Then again, you are supposed to pass the entire water volume through your filtration system every hour, right? So I have to have a pump that is flowing that much.

I am know the clarifier is working, cause I can see it glowing at night. Also, I put some algae killer in there and it killed roughly half of the algae. And, it has not returned. I think the clarifier is able to keep it at that level, but it can't seem to finish off the rest of the suspended algae. What should I do? Get another clarifier rated for more water volume and put that in line as well? Or is there some good algae killer that yall would recommend?

Reaction score
The UV light is roughly 1.5 years old. I have never changed the bulb, but it is functioning cause I can see light coming from the unit at night. I am using a Laguna 2000 GPH pump. I think I am just going to get another clarifier rated for even more gallons and put that in line with the other clarifer. Overkill ought to do the trick.

Reaction score
you are recommended to replace the tube every 12 months, i would try that first, i'm not keen on putting different chemicals in my pond especially for algae as alot of people say it just turns into sludge, is your pond in full sun, mine is, so i built a pergola over it, (i have posted pictures) and i have two in line uvc's and two built into filters boxes, you could perhaps try a slightly smaller uvc fitted next to your existing one, but which ever option you choose, just keep at it and you can and will beatt it.

Mick

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
its said after 8 months the bulbs start to loose their effectiveness, and by 11 months are of little use. just becasuse it lights up doesnt meen the bulb is doing its job anymore, they burn far longer than they are effective.....my bulb is still good after 3 years but has maybe 3 months use, mostly in its first year. i dont know how long your bulbs been used but if you run it all season and your seasons long enough...if your bulb has over 8 months use...it probably needs replacing.

Reaction score
When you replace that bulb - you will be happy you did. You will see a huge difference quickly. Good luck!

Reaction score
Ok I never knew that the bulbs degraded but still lit up. A pity. I'll try replacing it and see what happens. I'll also clean the crystal tube. I have had the clarifier for over a year, but I have probly only ran it for 8 months. Still, I guess age and a few heat cycles could have killed the bulb a little early.

Ask a Question