sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
proof it does work in my stock tanks .I put it in at 7 am and looked at it around 9:30 am and saw this and then looked at it again at noon time and then at 4 pm

Attachments

• stock tank and baby clothes and granite 001.JPG
    stock tank and baby clothes and granite 001.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 267
  • stock tank and baby clothes and granite 006.JPG
    stock tank and baby clothes and granite 006.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 270
  • stock tank and baby clothes and granite 003.JPG
    stock tank and baby clothes and granite 003.JPG
    202.7 KB · Views: 277
  • stock tank and baby clothes and granite 002.JPG
    stock tank and baby clothes and granite 002.JPG
    190.2 KB · Views: 307
  • stock tank and baby clothes and granite 008.JPG
    stock tank and baby clothes and granite 008.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 215
  • stock tank and baby clothes and granite 009.JPG
    stock tank and baby clothes and granite 009.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the top level of your water definitely looks cleaner with the algae gone.

So what product did you use? And where did the algae go?

I always thought a clarifier was to help clear cloudy water or to clear fine particles from the water?

I'm curious as to why you would use a chemical to clean up the
water rather than net the junk from
the water and do a water change?

Not knocking you, Just trying to understand :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wanted to see what would happen when you add a product like that .There are baby fish in there and as you see plants .The water was a solid green and only thing in there besides is a pump in a crate with lava rock all around it .I did use a fine net to scoop some of the stuff off the top because i wanted a closer look at it .The stuff I bought is rapid clear flocculent from crystal clear .I am trying to see what happens when you use different products .I tried one fix natural clarifier from crystal clear also in the other stock tank with the exact same results .It was just slightly clearer in the same amount of time and did not seem to harm fish or plants .I used koi clay in the third stock tank which went cloudy but cleared up the next day and was the clearest of all but took longer to clear .I hope the pics came out ok because I have not had the time to upload them .All the junk you see on top was after the products were working and the water was solid green before that in all 3 tanks .I tried quilt batting in all 3 but it was harder than using a product .I thought I took pics of the green water but guess i did not .The products seem to bind the stuff together and bring it up in globs of green .I used the globs i took out on several of my flower pots to see idf the flowers would suffer any ill affects but none they just got greener and bigger than the ones i was feeding miracle grow to and the plants that got the green glob stuff had more flowers after

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah, Now it makes more sense to me ;) So you had green water and the pictures of the goop on top were after it was working.

Very good idea sissy (y) I have heard good stuff about koi clay although I have not used it myself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used koi clay for 8 or 9 years now .But to get the effect of it removing the green water you must turn your pumps off for at least a half hour ,that is a long time in the heat even with an aerator going and it is cloudy water for at least a day or 2 .I add koi clay to the fish food because it enhances the color of the fish no matter if they are koi or goldies or shubbies .I added water from the tank with the koi clay and it did not do much for the plants in the pots and turned the mulch ontop a sickly grey crusty look and plants did not grow as well or flowers as much .The clarifier and flocculent seemed to bind all the green water into globs and those globs i guess had lots of nutrients in them .I did put the globs under the mulch ,they were ugly .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the koi clay for some uses but seems the crystal clear flocculent worked the best and faster than the other 2 .I got the products from pet solutions

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Stock tank with the koi clay cloudy still a little green same type of filter, crate with pump inside and lava rock ,Still a little green and cloudy

Attachments

• 7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 044.JPG
    7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 044.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 217
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
Cool! I've had a lot of success with Pond-Zyme from API, too. It's a dry bacteria and barley blend in powder form.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked at that but it is not cheap .These bottles say they treat 16 thousand gallons and were 14.99 a bottle and the other was 19.99 and treats 24 thousand gallons .So I figured put same amount of baby fish in each one and same sized filter and pump to see what happens .Also put the same amount of water hyacinth in each .Did not seem to effect anything so far .I am trying to test different products for my little garden pond group .Some are new to ponding and some have had ponds for years with nothing but problems and bad advice .I figure if they are using algaecide and killing there fish I have to at least find them something safer .They but that death in a bottle from the petsmart store here and those people tell them it is safe and I think it comes down to also not reading directions and over dosing .They just want fast results ,but at what cost .I use koi clay and have for years .It makes the colors of the fish brighter and the pond healthier .I also add it to there food .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They will be going to new homes ,so the new owners will have that problem .I just wanted to show that certain chemicals used are less harmless than others .I have 3 ponder friends here that have pondless water features and did not want to use pool chemicals because of the smell .I think these products would be great for them.Two of them have a shallow pond at the bottom for more plants and no fish .To me koi clays is still the way to go ,but some don't want that they wanted a quick fix and clear water .Koi clay is cheap but makes the water cloudy for at least 2 days but when it finally clears it is fantastic and feeding the fish with the koi clay mixed all over it makes the fish clors much brighter .I wanted to keep my mind open about some products .i do use barley and peat mixed and found a big difference in brands in that also .Barley and peat should be dark colored and smell good but I found some that say barley and peat and were clear and had a funky smell .Amazing that products can be so different Also read reports on that stuff that is like green clean and if you are not very careful adding it that you can harm fish and plants .Seems that most ponders want a quick fix and clear water ,but at what cost

Ask a Question