Cleaned the big pond

Reaction score
So this morning instead of sipping coffee next to the pond, I cleaned the waterfall filter (seriously 1 million baby snails and snail eggs!) - it was a probably the worst its ever been, I just left it and left it, I kept thinking oh I'll do it tomorrow, well today, was tomorrow. Haha!

Then I noticed the pump itself had lots of algae growing on it so I pulled that out - talk about a mucky mess! UGH! I opened it up, its one of those flat sump pumps. Bigger mess inside! YIKES! I hadn't done this in 7 months. So you can imagine. I didn't know they could open.

Then I actually got in the pond and started scooping the muck and string algae off the bottom in the middle where I can't normally reach.

Stage 2 is to open the pressure filter and clean the UV light and rinse the filter out - I don't even want to think what that looks like. I've been noticing a lot of floating algae so I'm guessing the UV is probably crusted over with lime scale (or whatever).

Who said ponds were for sipping coffee and cocktails?! Demucking - the dark side of pond ownership!

We are leaving for two weeks vacation on Thursday so I will likely do another waterfall clean up again on Wednesday. The demucking stirred up a lot of muck/stuff, so I'm sure the filters could do with a smaller clean up.

The joys.

Reaction score
Okay, are you ready for this one ...... Asheville SC!

We normally visit my husbands family in Seattle but decided to skip this year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well have a great trip and bring an extra suitcase to bring home all the stuff you find there for your pond that you can't get on the Islands :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Have a great trip. It will be nice to have the job of cleaning the pond all done. :)

Reaction score
Okay, pond is cleaned. It does feel good. I opened up the pressure filter - YUCK! MUCKY mess. But all clean now.

Hoping that the full clean up will help with the algae issues I've been having. Lots floating on top. But also some string algae on the bottom. I know I need another bio filter, I want to make one (trickle/shower tower kinda thing) and need a second pump.

I will also be adding an aerator to the pond. Any suggestions for a good one. My pond is 2200 gall.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have also been getting the floating algea on top. On hot days it just keeps floating up from the bottom. I keep scooping it out. Cleaned out my skippy last weekend. Found 2 more fish in there! Back to using the quilt batting again. I am going to invest in a skimmer and probably a UV also. Thinking a skimmer will help pull that stuff off the top.
I have been using a pond air aerator. Only 4 outlets but works well for me.

Reaction score
I have also been getting the floating algea on top. On hot days it just keeps floating up from the bottom. I keep scooping it out. Cleaned out my skippy last weekend. Found 2 more fish in there! Back to using the quilt batting again. I am going to invest in a skimmer and probably a UV also. Thinking a skimmer will help pull that stuff off the top.
I have been using a pond air aerator. Only 4 outlets but works well for me.

A skimmer would be awesome for me. But I'm not sure about adding it as an after thought. I have no idea how they are plumbed ......

I'll just keep scooping it out.

Its so HOT here, I suppose that with the sun is not helping my algae problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Temps here have actually been pretty mild for the last week. My pond is in full sun so I have to keep using the quilt batting in a milk crate every so often. We had a hot spell a couple of weeks ago and my water was getting pretty murky again. :( Might have to plant a small tree close to the pond so it will offer some shade down the road. I wonder if I put in that bog if it would help with my algea issues.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have an older version of this one but you don't need one this big. It makes bubbling volcano's in my pond quite large but the fish seem to love swimming through it. They come in AP 20, 40 and 60 also. Just google AP air pumps for ponds.

PONDMASTER AP 100 DEEP WATER AIR PUMP 9150 CU. IN./MIN.

PONDMASTER AP 100 DEEP WATER AIR PUMP 9150 CU. IN./MIN.

Item # 04580

The Pondmaster AP-Series air pumps have been designed to satisfy the requirements of a multitude of water-related applications. These beautifully designed, environmentally friendly pumps can be used for:

• Oxygenating outdoor ponds and water gardens
  • De-Icing outdoor installations during harsh winters
  • Oxygenating indoor water features
  • Aerating single or multiple aquarium or terrarium tanks
  • 1 year manufacturer's warranty

All AP-Series air pumps operate on standard 110V electric and come with 6’ power cords. They have been designed to operate efficiently with a motor that is non-oil lubricated. For outdoor applications, it is recommended that the water resistant.

Maximum water depth: 10 feet
Dimensions: 12.25"L x 8.5"W x 8.75"H
Power Cord: 6ft Long
Air Flow: 9150 Cubic inches/minute
Power Usage: 100 Watts
Hose Size: 3/4" I.D. (Tubing Not Included)
Includes 7-1/4" Air Diffuser with 33 Barbed Outlets (Connect 3/16" ID tubing)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Any of these airpumps would do the job for you Priscilla all you have to do is order one :-

http://www.azponds.com/New_webpages/New_air_pump_selection.html

A larger model would also supply air to your other pond , I dont know if they still do them but you could if you wish add small taps to the airpipes and thus control the amount of air going into your pond .
Another tip buy the more expensive ceramic airstones we koi keepers tend to go for they last one hell of alott longer than the blue sandstone ones .
As to demucking I'd have thought you would have invested in a pond vac by now to make your work easier ;)

Dave

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A skimmer would be awesome for me. But I'm not sure about adding it as an after thought. I have no idea how they are plumbed ......

I'll just keep scooping it out.

Its so HOT here, I suppose that with the sun is not helping my algae problems.
Have you thought about a floating skimmer -- not the best, but better than nothing. I have an OASE, and it does OK.

Ask a Question