Cleaning a polluted pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a small garden pond in the house... I moved in here last year and the pond was proper... I was even thinking of introducing some fish in it... But then my drunk flatmate burned all the winter leaves and dumped them in the pond and thereby polluting it forever...

It has been like that for a year and I thought of doing something about it before the spring is in full flow... So here is the thing... There are a lot of twigs, dirt and mud in it... Apart from this there are a lot of blood worm larvae and mosquito larvae in it... So I need to clean it out completely, refill it with water and introduce some fish later on... Any advice on how to do this???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flatmate left... He doesn't live here anymore... Thank god... :p Should I kill all the worms before taking stuff out???

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Why do I have the feeling that with that forum name and that story, we have another leg puller?
idunno.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A person I used to share the flat with... Like roommate in the US of A... I am from London... So we use the term flatmate...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Moonshadows, I too don't understand what you're asking...what's up with the new members name, and the fact that they had an idiot for a flat mate. Surely there must be similar in the US!
Hi, Sovvy, can you post some pictures, might help with the project.
BTW....A leg puller is someone that's having a joke with you, or in this case with us. Not that I think that's what you're doing....why should I?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
OK...so maybe I was wrong and offer my apologies. Most folks in this forum either go by a name or a pond moniker. When I first saw this name, "sOvvyblu3s" it reminded me of the type of names I see when I get spam emails on my business account. And, why in the world, would anyone burn leaves and put them in a garden pond even if he/she was drunk is beyond me. Perhaps I'm a skeptic.

So I will
Foto-82-456x337.jpg
and offer my
welcomeb.gif
to the forum.

If you have a liner, you will need to be careful in cleaning the twigs, dirt and mud so you don't puncture it, if it is still good. If it is concrete or some other surface a shovel and a wash out should do it.

Reaction score
Burned leaves, twigs are fine health wise. The bugs love it and the fish love the bugs. It's a natural type pond. Adding fish would be no problem, they'd love it. If you want a clean looking pool like pond you can drain and scoop out. Shop vac if you like, or sponge works good.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah... I understand the frustration about the spams... But this has been my online nick in several other forums... :)

Anyway, @moby, I will send the pictures tomorrow morning... It is dark out there...

@MoonShadows, My flatmate is an idiot... Anyway... The pond is concrete so no worries about the liner... I have a net that I can use to remove the leaves and other twigs... But the water is very dirty... Even the colour is different...

@Waterbug, I may have to clean it our completely... I want to start fresh... Thought of cleaning it today but it was raining on and off... It is a different season every five minutes here in London...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Yet another US term I keep seeing and I need clarification on...what's a shop vac please? We have carpet cleaners that can dispense and suck water from a carpet that's being cleaned, is that what you mean?

Ask a Question