Cleaning a polluted pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both of you for what now seems a dumb question, but I was curious as to the term 'shop' being used in this instance. Never heard that here. I've lived a sheltered life!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Thanks both of you for what now seems a dumb question, but I was curious as to the term 'shop' being used in this instance. Never heard that here. I've lived a sheltered life!
shop as in workshop, we're almost to the point where we'll have to admit we speak Americanish not English.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I have another way to suck the water... Something that doesn't need a shop vac...

I usually connect a hose to the faucet/tap and start the water and insert the other in the tank/pond then I will just remove the hose connected to the faucet/tap... This will force the water from the tank to be emptied... :)

Oh... And the pictures are attached but are pending approval by mods...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that's a lot of leaves. I think you need to drain the pond out and clear them all.

The second pic shows a hose - does that lead to a filter? Is it working?
There should be a pump attached to it somewhere.
I guess not given the state of the pond as a whole.

How big is the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I can smell the hydrogen sulphide from here, been there and have done that. Rubber boots and rubber gloves, anything else you wear should be from the rag bin. I used a plastic broom and dust pan to get the last of the sludge out the last time I did that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Looking at the pictures -- am I seeing a concrete edge but also the top of a black rubber liner peeking out? If so, just wanted to re-iterate Moonshadows's caution with sharp tools, sticks, etc.
It will be fun to see your pond all fresh and new!
Welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How big is the pond?

The Pond is a semi circle about 3 feet radius...

Looking at the pictures -- am I seeing a concrete edge but also the top of a black rubber liner peeking out? If so, just wanted to re-iterate Moonshadows's caution with sharp tools, sticks, etc.
It will be fun to see your pond all fresh and new!
Welcome!

It is... I am being cautious anyway... Because I found a filter (at least that's what I think it is) submerged in it... Photos attached...
IMG_20170315_164316.jpg
IMG_20170315_164316.jpg
IMG_20170315_164320.jpg
IMG_20170315_164316.jpg
IMG_20170315_164320.jpg
IMG_20170315_164316.jpg
IMG_20170315_164320.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There was no hose... The electric cable was cut off as well...So can't use it for now... Maybe after everything is set up I will look into this...

One thing is clear, the landlord loved her gardening... There is even a greenhouse but it is mostly used by cats as its dining room... :( My flatmate (the one who dumped the burnt leaves) failed to maintain it...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
The second photo you posted of the leafy pond shows some sort of hose at the back center. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe you will have the makings of a pretty fancy pond -- with a little repair and a lot of clean up. Wouldn't that be exciting??? :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would certainly be exciting to have it set up neatly... The green hose is kinda broken so it can't be used (my luck)...

Ask a Question