cleaning a pond for installation and aeration

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
As I have posted in a thread when I first joined I was given a pond (200 to 250 gallon I would estimate). I have not been able to get it installed/up and running due to being busy/some health things. It looks like I may be able to get it going soon, but would like to clean it up. It has some various build ups on it and not sure what they may be except maybe calcium or lime. What would you use to help clean it up? I do plan on putting in a few goldfish or some kind of fish.

Also I will have a waterfall for look and some aeration. I was thinking of using a second pump (first is about 280 gallon per hour) for another kind of water feature to help with aeration. What your thoughts? Good idea or not good?

THANKS.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Try some lime away or clr
8a96e1d9-1bad-4d0f-8b16-bf7f70200364_400.jpg
With a scrubby.
Afterwards clean it really well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When you top the pond back up buy yourselves a Digital water meter to attch to your hose pipe such as this :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gardena-81...465800385&sr=1-6&keywords=digital+water+meter

The reason for filling the pond via a water meter is that you will be able to have an idea of the correct gallonage of the pond, the reason for this soon becomes obvious should you need to treat the pond with any fish treatments .
It is vitaly important that you know the correct gallonage rather than give a guestimate of how many gallons [this method often leads to the pond owner over dosing the pond ]

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would just scrub it with a brush and pump the dirty water out. What ever stays stays. After a few months the complete pond will be covered, at least it should be, you don't want to be looking at a shiny black plastic liner. As far as the pump it sounds like the one pump you have is enough to turn the pond over fast enough. Just pipe it into the water falls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
what I have been thinking of on the second pump was that I would use I to help keep the pond clean. attach the filter that skims the water surface for things like pine needles, leaves, etc. and gives just a little aeration to the pond. Then the bigger main pump(one I have now) would be the primary one and that would go thru the bio filter and waterfall.

Ask a Question