MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have a Lifegard Aquatics All-In-One Pond Filter System...pictured below . It's been running for almost 2 months now, and yesterday was the first time I took it out with the intention of cleaning it if needed. (The company recommends cleaning every two weeks, but since it started off in a new pond, I decided to wait longer for the first cleaning.)

So, I shut it off and as I picked it up and out of the pond, all the internal water back washed out through the filtration media and deposited a boat load of green-brown water and tiny particles back into my very clean water completely eliminating any and all visibility to a couple of inches. (No biggie; it's all good stuff, and will clear again.) When I opened the filter, it was what I considered very clean. Well, of course! It was clean because all the gunk backwashed into my pond when I lifted it out! I gave the interior unit a quick rinse to remove the larger debris.

So, my question is this.......For those of you who have a small pond with a submersible filter system, how do you remove it for cleaning without the contents washing back into your pond as you lift the filter out? Or, should I not be concerned about all the green-brown water and particles that wash back in, just the more solid debris in and around the sponges once I have it open?

p-88345-75226V-pond.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well that sucks! Seems like a dumb design.

They probably just want the solid stuff rinsed off and removed.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That's what I figured @addy1. After I wrote this post, I watched a YouTube Vid where a guy was cleaning a submersible filter he uses for his water feature. He even remarked that with a submersible filter make sure you have the hose and cord out of the way so you can lift the filter up and out of the pond as fast as possible to avoid backwash into the pond. I guess I should have done that instead of holding the filter over the pond and letting the water drain back in! This morning the pond visibility seems to be much improved.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Got to love youtube, it has helped us more than once. My hubby uses it for car repairs.

Get the pond cleared up some then I would yank it out FAST and see if you can rinse some of the fine stuff off. Gather up some of the stuff that got washed back in.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah ever since I got rid of my submersible filter I've been a happy person.

You need an external filter... any external filter... or better yet makes bog.

I don't want an external since it is a raised pond. It would require hoses going up and over the side. And, it would have to be a pretty small bog. Maybe in my next pond! ;)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I get a 5 gal bucket and as soon as I get the pump close enough, I place it in the bucket as I'm removing it. BUT, my pump goes to a filter, so there probably isn't the amt. of yuck that you have.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
If only the filter would fit in a 5 gallon bucket, @Mmathis. I'm thinking more like a large Tupperware storage tote. That might do the trick! (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
is it very big? looks like aquarium filter design , use any plastic bag perhaps

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The pond visibility improved a lot from Saturday afternoon to Sunday morning, but since then, it seems to have stalled. The water is not as clear as it was before I pulled the filter and the green/brown water backwashed into the pond. I can see the fish OK, but the water is not as clear as it was. Is this a waiting game? Or, should I pull the filter again...not letting the filter water backwash again...and rinse the debris it recollected? The water does not have a green or algae look, just a dirty look to it.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have to go to Walmart today. I think I'll pick up one of those big Stearlite containers. I can submerge the container into the pond, lift the filter into it and then lift the container out of the water without the filter backwashing into the pond.

Ask a Question