addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to go to Walmart today. I think I'll pick up one of those big Stearlite containers. I can submerge the container into the pond, lift the filter into it and then lift the container out of the water without the filter backwashing into the pond.
With it full of water it will be heavy!

You could also get a laundry basket (water will pour out), a bunch of quilt batting (Walmart) line the laundry basket with the batting, thick. Put the pump in the basket surrounded by the batting. It would collect the muck the pump releases back when you pull it out.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yes, I was thinking about the weight! I like the idea of the laundry basket lined with quilt batting. Thanks. I'll let you know how I make out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking about the weight
I know how heavy those things can be when you add water.
I had a 5 gallon bucket, with a small pump and some filter stuff, for the winter in the pond, even with drain holes I could barely lift it out of the pond.
My lily pots, oil drain pans, get very heavy with a bit of water, kitty litter and the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I used to have in-pond filters in my old pond made out of those storage totes, I'm too old to wrestle with them now. There's just no good way to do it, getting them to the surface isn't too bad, but then you have to lift the filter and the water to get it over the edge.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@addy. I took your advice. Bought a laundry basket and quilt batting this morning at Walmart. I'll let you know how it goes.

100_0022.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The water will drain out slow, let it ow it too will be darn heavy!

I don't use submersibles............above is one reason. For me to clean, turn off pump dump leaf basket turn pump back on ..............done

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This submersible came with the pond package kit. I certainly won't use one in my next pond. ;) I'm going to wait until this weekend to pull it again...the weather is supposed to be sunny and warmer. We've been damp and cool the past few days, not days I want to get all wet! :rolleyes:

New-all-in-one-425-gal-photo.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For that pond, your submersible is a good choice a external pump would really stand out. They are just a pita to clean.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah. Someone suggested an external pump, but I would have to put the hoses up and over the side and there would be no place to hide the pump.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have seen some use matala filters, like this, not sure if you could convert yours. With these you just put them on a longish hose in the pond pull up rinse off and place back in pond.

There are different sizes densities etc. I have one on my deck pond small submersible pump. When the steam is not running it just keeps the water flowing = no mosquitoes.

I clean it maybe once in the summer (no fish in the deck pond)

51tBnXNJnoL.jpg

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was going to pull the pump this past weekend, but by Saturday the water was much clearer, and on Sunday it was very clear again, so I decided not to. I'll wait two weeks and pull it for a looksee...but, this time I will use the quilt batting and laundry basket.

I am also going to look more into these matala filters.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The water started to look "dirty" the past few days, so I decided to pull the filter today. I filled the laundry basket with the quilt batting...lowered the basket into the pond and placed the filter in it. Much cleaner process this time. If I keep this raised pond "as is" next Spring, I am really thinking of getting an external filter. I like the submersible I have now, but cleaning is such a hassle! An external filter should make the process easier with less backwash.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What about a pressurised filter down in the pond
Pull it to the surface and open pull the pads out and clean

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me for asking, but, can a brand of pressurised filters actually be placed IN the pond? I've never thought that was an option myself, and definitely not the case with the one that I use...a Bioforce Revolution 9000. As far as I'm aware, they're for burying up to the rim to disguise it, or simply left free standing....outside the pond, not in it.
Whilst I'm not familiar with US models, I'm not confident they can be used in a pond.....perhaps those more on the know will correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Ask a Question