Cleaning a submersible filter

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Forgive me for asking, but, can any brand of pressurised filters actually be placed IN the pond? I've never thought that was an option myself, and definitely not the case with the one that I use...a Bioforce Revolution 9000. As far as I'm aware, they're for burying up to the rim to disguise it, or simply left free standing....outside the pond, not in it.
Whilst I'm not familiar with US models, I'm not confident they can be used in a pond.....perhaps those more on the know will correct me if I'm wrong.

Why would you want to put it in the pond? That would only restrict access when maintenance was required.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I don't! It was Patfish in POST #28 who suggested to the OP to consider using a pressurised filter actually in the pond....that's how I read it anyway.....I was questioning the use of one underwater as I'm not aware that this is possible.

Meyer, can you clarify, (forgive the pun) as to whether this can be done as I think it could well cause some major issues if this is not the case!

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It was Patfish in POST #28 who suggested to the OP to consider using a pressurised filter actually in the pond....that's how I read it anyway.....I was questioning the use of one underwater as I'm not aware that this is possible.

Meyer, can you clarify, (forgive the pun) as to whether this can be done as I think it could well cause some major issues if this is not the case!

As far as I know, there would be no reason that a pressurized filter could not be submerged in a pond. The question is WHY anyone would want to do it. Besides the obvious restricted access in order to conduct periodic maintenance (back-flushing/cleaning), there is the problem with being able to easily monitor the pressure gauge to determine when this maintenance is required. That is, after you cleaned the algae growth off of the pressure gauge face-plate in order to read it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Why? Exactly! :)
Nowhere on my instructions does it suggest that mine can be installed underwater so I was curious to learn if this was true with other makes never having heard of them being used in this way.
Plus my model and lots of others I looked at are themselves weighty objects and would hold a large volume/weight of water, add to that a ton of pipe work and electrics, far more than my old box gravity filter ever had as mine and others have the UV built in. Lifting that contraption out of my pond myself would be a nightmare, then think of all that stirring up of any remaining bottom dirt. Mine doesn't have a pressure gauge, it gets cleaned when I notice the stream/waterfall flow has slowed down slightly or 5-6 days have elapsed during summer. My brand is simple to backwash...because it's a sealed unit and has easy access......outside the pond.
My vote goes for an external filter as I'm sure it would be able to have its two tubes and it's electric cables neatly concealed relatively easily, maybe with them coming up and over at one of the junctions of the sides. No in pond disruption when it comes to the all important cleaning. No dirty hands either, just switch off, divert the dirty water to drain/garden, wind the handle, switch on, repeat a few times, switch water diverte back to pond.....job done.The filter itself could be concealed at floor level by the side of the pond within a three sided box of similar construction to the current pond walls.
I would personally recommend a pressurised filter to anyone as having had one for 2 years and prior to that an above ground gravity fed filter for almost 26, the pressurised one wins hands down.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So, what recommendations for an external filter for my small raised garden pond of 425 gallons??? Advice appreciated!

When I cleaned my submersible this past weekend, the quilt batting in the laundry basket helped the backwash flooding out of the filter to stay out of the pond, however, the basket weighed a ton. Just the picking up of the filter to put in the basket while underwater and then lifting the basket up and out stirred up a lot of stuff on the bottom that wouldn't get stirred up with an external filter. While the water didn't turn as greenish brown this time as it did the first time I pulled the filter without the basket lined with quilt batting, three days later, it still hasn't cleared. Last time it took a week to clear again. I'm assuming it will be a week this time, too.

Oh, and did I mention all the backwash and filter gunk I got all over my shorts, legs and sneakers? Hmmmm!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but I'll have to defer that to those native to the US as what's available here to me in the U.K., may not necessarily be available to you:) Plus I had to take advise from a large pond store on what to get myself!
Bet Mrs Moonshadows was real pleased with you on filter washing day!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Bet Mrs Moonshadows was real pleased with you on filter washing day!

Good one!
niEEbMb9T.jpg

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry I didn't mean to stir the waters.
I thought they didn't want hoses over the top rail of the raised pond. I thought they could keep the pump and filter in the pond and when the water flow slowed down they could turn off the pump, raise the filter up to the surface and open the lid, remove the filter sponges, clean in a bucket of pond water ( no clorine) replace everything and turn on the pump.
If any part of the system fails it is all contained in the pond.
Screenshot_2017-07-17-19-06-09.png
Screenshot_2017-07-17-19-06-09.png

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe even a shelf in the pond to rest it on while cleaning

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_2154.jpg
Don't think anyone needs to apologise :) we're just all trying to solve the OP's problem as best we can!
I've never seen a filter like the one you posted before, so thanks for showing me what you had in mind :) The pic above is what mine looks like along with its pump which is an in pond pump btw. I viewed many others that were bigger and had a far more complicated appearance than this one when I was choosing mine and have honestly yet to come across one that's an underwater model here in the U.K.
I think that any equipment, be that either a filter or a pump for that matter, that needs to be lifted from a pond causes issues with sediment stirring, plus being weighty and unwieldy can also add complications. Mine has two hose tails for incoming and outgoing pond water, the third one is to facilitate the backwashing discharge to the drain or garden. The diverter is the white switch on the top. The handle is for winding around to agitate the foam cubes to dislodge debris before its pumped it out. I don't open mine at all for regular cleaning so I was curious as to other makes that appear to be submerged...as mentioned, they're certainly never been available at any of the pond places I've ever been to over here.
Here's hoping someone can now advise the OP on the best way to proceed.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can you guys mention the brand of the filters you are posting pics of...appreciate it.

I know nothing about pumps/filters. The submersible I have I bought with my raised pond kit. They gave two choices...both made by Lifeguard Aquatics. The one that came standard with the pond was nothing but a pump with a block of filter over the intake.
INFO-MAG-425-G.jpg

The upgrade was to a triple all-in-one pond filtering system which I opted for thinking it would do a better job.
New-all-in-one-Upgrade-425-gal.jpg

At first, I did mention I preferred the submersible over the out-of-pond system so as not to see the system, hoses, etc. outside the pond. But, after pulling this filter out a couple of times to clean, I am softening on that position. You are right, pulling it causes issues with sediment stirring, plus being weighty and unwieldy, not to mention the gunk I get all over me.

I am in no rush; I want to buy the best unit for the pond I have. Any help from you guys, or anyone else, is greatly appreciated.

After thinking about it, I can build a channel of of wood to cover the hoses up and over the side, then stain it the same color as the cedar...like I did with the shade canopy frame I built over the top (see below)...with a box on the ground to cover the unit.
025-Jul_18.jpg

Last edited:

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
pond boss and aquanique brands at Target and Lowes
some are higher price but have a UV light attached

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if you needed my info, I had mentioned it in part earlier but here's the full spec...Hozelock Bioforce Revolution 9000 coupled with an Aqua-force 6000 pump as it was a complete kit with everything that was needed. It has a 24 watt UV in the filter unit. After sweet talking the salesman on the phone, I got 50 mt of 40ml hose thrown in as I got a good deal at the end of the season as he needed the space...result!

Having constructed your lovely pond and shade cover I'm certain you will be able to disguise the workings and the filter like I suggested earlier :) There shouldn't be more than one electric cable and one pipe of say around 40ml in diameter attached to a pump plus the return pipe from the filter course which would be if a similar diameter so it's not a huge amount to box in really. I think you will find that the ribbed pipe, mine is black as it cuts down on light/algae growth inside, is easier to bend than the non ribbed, so that may be a better option given you have space constraints to a certain degree.
Keep us informed as to what you decide.........and go careful next filter washing day or do it in your swim gear!

Ask a Question