Cleaning ABOVE Pond

Reaction score
Hi:
Let me introduce myself. My name is Sam. I'm new to this forum. In fact, this is my first post. I have a problem and I am hoping you can help resolve it. My pond is approx 1000 gallon free form pond with a waterfall. I have Koi, Shubunkins and a couple gold fish. The pond is directly below a Bay window on my house. The molding of the window (aluminum) has a growth on it. I believe it's algae or a mold and it must be cleaned. I have a power washer I can use but I'm afraid that power washer might do damage to the calking and possibly to seal of the double pain glass. Even though it is difficult, I can get to it by hand.

Question: Does anyone know of a chemical (cleaning agent) that I can use to clean that molding that will NOT jeopardize the fish?

Thanks,
Sam

Reaction score
Elbow grease is really all you should need on aluminum. You could use a spray bottle with a diluted bleach solution. Or a towel damp with beach. Anything that doesn't allow a lot of dripping. I wouldn't have an open container of bleach that could fall into the pond, which is why I like the spray bottle.

Some bleach going into the pond won't hurt anything. If you were concerned you could cover the pond with plastic, or increase water movement so any bleach diluted fast. But I wouldn't worry.

I would stay away from soaps, but even they break down fast these days.

Reaction score
Peroxide won't hurt the fish and will kill the growth if it algae, even works on mold.
addy1: Thank you very much for your suggestion. A quick question for you: Can you use the Peroxide full strength or do you need to dilute it with water?

Thanks,
Sam

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy1: Thank you very much for your suggestion. A quick question for you: Can you use the Peroxide full strength or do you need to dilute it with water?

Thanks,
Sam

I have used it full strength, poured right into the pond, (arizona pond) to wipe out string algae. You can spray it on your windows full strength, without harming the fish, if any gets into the water. Test spray a part of what you are cleaning make sure it does not bother that material. Shouldn't but you never know.

Reaction score
addy1: Again, I thank you. Here on the East coast (Philadelphia, PA area) we are getting a cold spell. I will be trying this as soon as it warms up a little. I will post the results.

Sam

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No kidding, pops up to high 60, drops back down to freezing at night. Heavy frost this am.
The birds are all building nests now.

Reaction score
No kidding, pops up to high 60, drops back down to freezing at night. Heavy frost this am.
The birds are all building nests now.
addy1: just a quick note to tell you, I haven't forgot about you. Hopefully, within the next few week, actually I'm shooting for next Saturday (4/29) , I will be able to try your solution. At that time, I will be back and let you know how things work out.

Thanks Again,
Sam

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no problem, just hope it works for you

Ask a Question