Cleaning algae

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have a pond that is strictly decorative, no fish, no plants. Has a frog fountain that shoots water through its mouth, so must have clean water. Faces west. How do we keep the algae from growing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Pitzel! It will help if you provide some information and perhaps a photograph. How big is the pond? Is your pond in the shade or blasted by the west sun? Will it provide water for birds?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!

Chlorine, peroxide, algaecides all fight algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! And I agree with what's already been said - anything that kills algae is fine if there are no plants or fish. Just be aware of one thing - years ago my MIL had a big water fountain in her front yard - really pretty. She had pots all around the edge filled with flowers. She added bleach to kill the algae, not realizing how much the fountain would spray water on her pots when the wind would blow. Killed them all within a day or two.

Let me also mention - my MIL was an "if a little is good, a lot is better" type person, so she probably added the whole gallon of bleach! A little bit goes a long way!

Good luck! Post some pictures - we'd love to "oooh" and "ahhh"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'll agree with the above suggestions that without fish or plants, you can go ahead & use chemicals to help prevent/treat algae. But! if wildlife uses it for bathing or drinking, remember that whatever you put in is going to effect them too.

Personal story (just for your consideration) At my previous house we had a 5' tall cement waterfall-looking fountain in our back yard that we were constantly having to clean due to algae & other muck (it was under large trees & much debris ended up in it) One day I put a single potted aquatic plant in it. Never again did we have to drain, scrub, clean or treat the water - that one plant took care of the entire problem (and, in my opinion, made it look nicer from a decorative point as well!)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588436091312.gif
@Pitzel
I would use the hydrogen peroxide in case birds, frogs, or any other critter might visit for a drink.
http://www.wisdomwoman.com/Home-Garden/?p=243

Ask a Question