Cleaning Lava Rocks

Reaction score
I just bought 3.5 cubic feet (7 bags) of lava rocks. (they're marked as decorative lava rocks from depot. see here: Home Depot Lava Rocks) I was wondering if 1) these are OK to use in a home-made filter that i'm working on and 2) if i should clean them. Obviously it sounds silly to clean rocks but these are covered in red sand. I'm thinking that this would (at first at least) travel down into the pond (over the fall). That would probably make the water even dirtier. Also, would it hurt the fish??

If i SHOULD hose them off, is it ok to use hose water (cholrinated)? I plan to treat them with beneficial bacteria first but am also afraid that the chlorine in the hose water will hurt the fish if i put them right into the waterfall.

-James

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your fine rinse them let em dry before you apply the pl gel if your using it. let them sit for an hour or so, then in the filter set up for an hour or so, in water ,without the pump running. then turn on the pump.

Reaction score
My idea is to take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom and sides. Then fill it about 1/3 with lava rocks and hose off with my power washer. shake, repeat. sound like a plan?

-James

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You are putting way too much into this. Hose them off and use them. Don't worry about the chlorine, it will evaporate and is not enough to cause any harm. I have added several hundred gallons to my pond without dechlor and the fish were fine. When it gets to more than 15% water change, I add some dechlor to be sure it is safe.:profile:

I have used the beneficial bacteria and it still took a few weeks for the system to adjust. :grumble: Without it, it still took a few weeks to establish the colony. I think it is over-rated along with all the other chemicals folks try to sell you.:twocents:

Ask a Question