Cleaning quilt batting

Reaction score
I added a bottle of beneficial bacteria to the new pond last week so I assume that the quilt batting will have absorbed it. When I clean the batting should I use a bucket of pond water or can I just take the batting out and hose it off? My pond is pea green so I don't want to do anything that will hurt it more than it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I rinse my quilt batting out in the water can and then I water my plants. I use a piece in the skimmer box (in front of the filter pad) and change it twice a day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just spray it and soak it in peroxide and water and then back in

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep kills the cells or you could just be putting them back in .I usually have a couple and lay them out in the sun afterward .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
almost all peroxide is 3 % and if i spray my waterfall rocks with it to clean algae ,I turn off my pumps and squirt on or put it in a spray bottle and wait about 10 minutes or more and then turn my pump back on .But in cleaning the filters .I use a 5 gallon bucket and half a cup of peroxide in the water .You can add more but since I hose it off first and then soak it in the bucket and then I place mine in the sun to dry .But you can put it right back in the filter as all it does is add oxygen to the water .

Reaction score
Every place inside of your pond houses bacteria, so dont worry about what is in the batting ... Depending on how much you use, may decide how you choose to clean it ... ours is in a small clothes basket ... hubby has something on the ground (plywood, tarp or trash bag) and hoses the heck out of it, steps on it, etc ... ring it out, and puts it back ... after 3-4 rinses, we just throw it out (hopefully before the dog finds it and spreads it around the yard) and replace with new ... We use 100% poly filled pillows that cost $4-5 ... one pillow fills the basket twice plus ...

Reaction score
In order to clean properly does it have to cover all possible routes that the e=water takes before leaving the filter? I am using the batting in the skimmer which the water route is completely covered but in the filter the water can get around the sides of the batting.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh don't throw it out I leave it dry rip it up and birdies take it for there nests .Doesn't matter where you put quilt batting as long as it picks up the fine stuff

Ask a Question