Clear at night, crappy during the day

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hi all,
I have been super busy with work trips and some family issues but I have a question. My pond is super clear in the morning and evenings, like gin clear. But during the day, I get that floating snot and the pond looks awfully green. Is there something I can do to clear that up? There's no debris on the bottom of the pond but that snot algae laying there in the mornings.
Should I get a muck vac and try to vacuum it out?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I forget what your filter setup is like, T. Is it clogging up, or are are you having to clean it more often?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Right now I'm only using the bog. I have a pot with a pump running though it that I will occasionally put quilt batting in but that's it. I don't have any batting in now since it's gin clear in the mornings and evenings.
I guess I'm just confused since it is so pretty in the morning and afternoon. It doesn't seem normal... (Considering the source :whistle::eek:).
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your pump is pumping some of the algae up to the bog/plant filter, then things should be fine.
Would you have an extra pump that you could place at the bottom of the pond, just to stir things up more?
The more detritus you can get to your plant filter, the better.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all,
I have been super busy with work trips and some family issues but I have a question. My pond is super clear in the morning and evenings, like gin clear. But during the day, I get that floating snot and the pond looks awfully green. Is there something I can do to clear that up? There's no debris on the bottom of the pond but that snot algae laying there in the mornings.
Should I get a muck vac and try to vacuum it out?
Appears that you still have an excess of nutrients...N and/or P. Test the water to determine which. I suspect that it is P.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Manufacturers sure do raise my blood pressure at times. The first kit you linked, for aquariums, does not contain a test for P and the second kit that you linked, for ponds, does not test for Nitrate. Of course to get a complete picture of nutrient levels, one needs to test for both N and P. Include both in the same kit, of course not, make the consumer spend more money by buying two (2) test kits. AAAaaargh!!!

Yes, I have run across 'pond snot' many times. Interestingly, the majority of times i have found it in new Water Gardens (no fish), but it always dissipated after one season never to return. Koi love this stuff!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well this is the first summer with it so maybe it'll go away. It doesn't bother me, and the fish do seem to love it. They chase me around in the afternoon trying to get the net out of the pond.
I can order one since there's no huge rush.
Any recommendations for a 1 and done test kit?
And thanks Meyer. :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well this is the first summer with it so maybe it'll go away. It doesn't bother me, and the fish do seem to love it. They chase me around in the afternoon trying to get the net out of the pond.
I can order one since there's no huge rush.
Any recommendations for a 1 and done test kit?
And thanks Meyer. :)
You can order the second kit (ponds) AND this.
http://www.amazon.com/API-LR1800-Nitrate-Test-Kit/dp/B002DVVICS
You would be covered for the basic parameters.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any algae that has managed to grow I watch the fish inhaling it like spaghetti. Maybe I need to feed the poor things more often...............

Ask a Question