Clear in the morning, cloudy at night???

Reaction score
Country
United States
The last few day my pond has been crystal clear in the morning a it normally is, but when I get home in the evening it i so cloudy I can't see the fish. The next morning it will be clear again. Water tests perfectly normal. It is 4000 gallons with 13 koi and a lot of plants. My guess is maybe the larger fish are spawning during the day and stirring up sediment but I don't really know. Any ideas?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1567176721144.gif
@PaulH
Just guessing but wonder if it is a heat/sun issue. Does your pond have any shade? Algae grows faster w/sunlight. Not sure if it sinks at night tho while you are asleep. Weird!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I doesn't seem to be algae. I've got a UV filter and the cloudiness is more brown than green.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe pond scum which is dead stuff that is dissolving in your pond and gets stirred up by fish after you leave for work then settles down over night like you suggested. Have you cleaned your filter lately? If so does it get full of gunk fast? How big are the koi? Maybe they are producing a lot of poo if they are bigger fish. You could attach a fines filter to your pond edge by stuffing quilt batting in it and running tubing from a pump on the bottom of your pond into the pot of quilt batting. Water goes back into pond through bottom holes in the pot. This works but takes a lot of time rinsing and cleaning over and over of the quilt batting. Might try it to see how much gunk is collected for awhile and what it looks like.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

My lil hot tub pond does that some mornings very clear, evening cloudier. I have no uv, the water is pretty darn clear looking in the water, the cam shows very clear then cloudy in the evening.

Ask a Question