Clear murky water in pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'm looking for some advise to get my water clear please. I have 2 filters at the moment along with a 28 watt uv.
Still can't seem to get that crystal clear water that I see in everyone else's pond.

I have also got a second uv in the post , surely this will work ?
Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_2215.JPG
    IMG_2215.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_2216.JPG
    IMG_2216.JPG
    327.9 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2217.JPG
    IMG_2217.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_2218.JPG
    IMG_2218.JPG
    270.5 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2220.JPG
    IMG_2220.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
It's around 1800 gallons, some small koi, gold fish and a couple of large orph.. I also have about 5 frogs..
I did a 50% water change recently and noticed a good couple of inches of sludge at the bottom.
im trying to refrain from completely changing the water as I know this will harm the fish.

Any thoughts

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I did a 50% water change recently and noticed a good couple of inches of sludge at the bottom.

A complete clean-out may be your only sure solution at this point. Koi are bottom-feeding fish and ,by nature, will constantly be stirring up the accumulated sediment placing some of it back in suspension. Saving (and re-using) most of the existing pond water will reduce the stress to the fish.
Also your fish load seems a 'tad' high.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be installing a second uv this week, after 7 days of both uvs running, if there's no difference I will consider a full clean out.
Thank for the advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Also [sorry, if I missed this already] how long has your pond been up and running?
This it's second year running, I had the same problem last year but when I installed the uv .. it cleared relatively well but never have I had crystal clear water like it should be .

I am hoping 2 uvs will work

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome , when did u cleaned it last time ? also whats ur pump g/h?
yes seems to be overloaded and waste is gathering at the bottom and not going anywhere nor plants roots to trap it
if its not green then why ur adding uv? it looks like blackish , particles in water , may b u need mechanical filter cleaning and upgrade
clean pump inlet too , seems less pressure

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Looks like you need an aerator to move the water more ,air is your friend

Reaction score
For the stuff on the bottom I think vacuuming is the best option. Several vacuuming options. Removing the muck can help with clear water but is by no means always a solution.

Could be suspended particles. If you look really close at the water do you see lots of tiny bits, like ground black pepper size, kind of floating and suspended in the water? Vacuuming can eliminate that over time. For faster results water changes are needed. One 50% change isn't enough. Some types of vacuums remove water from the pond, so that counts as a water change too.

It can be hard to describe water. Murky can mean many things. You didn't say green so I suspect a second UV wouldn't help. I would focus on the current UV and make sure the bulb isn't too old and that the flow of water through the UV is within the manufacturer's spec. And the UV is mounted correctly, not upside down, etc... If the UV is sized correctly, maintained and installed correctly it is 100% effective. Adding more UV filters doesn't do any good if that one is also not done correctly.

I'm guessing the pond has no string algae? Kind of common in your type of pond. You could add a Trickle Tower filter in a spot getting as much sun as possible. Get some string algae growing on that and very likely you could have clear water. And you wouldn't need the UV at all.

It's not hard. But you have to be pragmatic and careful about advice. The things people will tell you to do can be endless. This includes local pond "professional". Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice guys,
A quick question, if I decided to do a hard reset and clean top to bottom ... am I ok to put the fish back in the water immediately after.. I can hold the fish in containers whilst cleaning but not for a long period of time.

A second uv was installed yesterday , no real change to the water, but as per waterbugs comments. The water isn't green so the uv is probably doing its job.
However it is how he describes like thousand of grains of pepper floating round,
Visiability around 2 inch at the moment
I believe that the bottom is that thick in sludge the fish are just constantly stiring it up.

I would like to start again without damaging the fish.

Let me have your thoughts

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
NOOOOO... Be patient and let nature balance some things out and the UV light to work. You will kill your fishy friends if you completely clean your pond, refill, and dump them back in.

Ask a Question