Clear water - algea bottom/sides

Reaction score
So after installing my uv clarifier, my pea soup all went away and the water is now crystal clear. However I do have a good coating of algae on the bottom and sides of my pond. Now with the crystal water, you can really see the aglae - go figure. I brushed some of the algae off around the water rim and that has seemed to stay clean now. But like I said, it is covered all over the bottom, my filter covers, my pump, etc. Anything I can do to help?

I have also since last posting, put in some water hyacinths which are really growing and about 8 bunches of anacharis, which also are really growing in there.

Thanks.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the string algea should pass on its own... but if you really want to hurry it up try a little hydrogen peroxide and/or put in some barley/peat extract... the extract releases humic acids that turn into peroxide over time. the peroxide will start the process and the extract will keep it going. look it up on line for the proper dosage of peroxide for your size pond..wait a few days then add the maintainence dose of extract not the "shock" (startup) dose if you use the peroxide. your fish will not mind the alge one bit, and its a snack

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
sounds like a normal pond to me..
the fish have to eat some thing..

Reaction score
Could I have a clarification from those who know? I have seen before in this forum similar questions where the water is clear but there is "algae" covering the surfaces of the pond. I'm aware that the "soft fuzzy" greenish coating (basically looks like the surfaces have been flocked with a gray/green fuzz) is normal in a healthy pond, but is it a true algae?

Reaction score
if you are like me and hate green algae what I did was I remove all the fish place them in a rubbermade tub with oxygen and filter running, then i poured 3 gallon of bleach ( my pond is 4,000 gallon ) left all pump and filter running by the nest morning my pond was super clear all algae all green stuff attached to the bottom and rock were all gone. pond now looks like the firdt day it was install

Reaction score
hmmm....that's a pretty severe thing to do for some algae which is really just a natural part of ponding. Fishies will feed on it, for example. Catching fish and all that stresses them out and can lead to a whole host of other problems including illness. I really think its unecessary for anyone to do something that drastic over itty bitty algae. But to each his own.

Personally, I kinda like it, as the other poster said that it softens things up. And I like watching my koi grazing in it...

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Printman, if you HATE algae, your in the wrong hobby. Ponds grow algae, it's part of nature. The wild life couldn't exist without it.

If your pond is filtered correctly and you have the right balance of plants, fish, and wildlife, aglae will be the least of your problems.

Chemicals are not the solution either.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Just thinking about this algae issue from natural point of view. I would think that a person would want their pond to look somewhat natural without looking too fake. Because of the limited amount of space in my back yard, I had to settle with only a 365 gallon pond. But, I did as much as I could to give it a natural balance in both plants and livestock, (fish, frogs, and snails).

That being said, the fish, frogs, and snails are healthier in a natural habitat which includes algae. The fish and the snails need algae in their diet for good health.

Reaction score
ditto. agree, sarge!

There are folks that do have ponds that are ultra contemporary/modern in look and style because that's what they like. For example, I've seen a pond locally that is raised above ground with a very modern block and with windows cut out in the side. It certainly was flashy and cool in it's own way and the fish looked beyond happy with the excellent water quality. The pond was several years old, but looked as if it had just had water put in it that day--all shiny and slick. It was beautiful in it's own unique way for sure. I saw a pond in California modern house that naturally had a pond that was as equally as modern as the house with an infinity edge and everything. Totally stunning in that proper setting matching an ultra-mod house.

Personally, I have a preference for a pond that has a more natural appearance in the landscape. Lots of stone and plantings around it, etc. Almost as if it's just a natural spring that has popped up in the yard. I like for it have a definite "aged" look, like it's been there forever. And that includes algae not only for appearance, but also for the health of my fish. Mind you, perhaps people are confusing "algae" with that that pesky blanket weed, stringy algae that is a pest. What I'm talking about is the not more than 1/4" green "coating" that covers everything--you can't even see my retro bottom drain because it's covered in this algae and it just blends into the pond liner (also covered in algae). Heck, even the air tubing heading to my air stones is covered with the stuff so they are difficult to detect. I have a large property of 3 acres that is mostly naturalized with lots of large trees. There is substantial lawn area too, but we try to keep everything looking natural in order to cut back on the tremendous work a more manicured lanscape would require. My house is in the farm-house style, so the pond looks like it's in an english garden and includes a lovely 3 1/2 foot tall curlie-cut wrought iron fence with gates surrounding it (these are not only pretty to look at, but protect my children from getting near the pond and also from predators getting in. When I step within the fence, it's as if you're in a little wonderland. I am adding some more walking paths and mulch around the pond at the moment that I will finish this weekend. Have to move a rose bush that's in the way of the path i'm extending--but I will shoot some pics and post here next week so y'all can see it.

As you said quite accurately, this thin coating of algae is very much the sign of a healthy pond and makes a good feeding ground for all the creatures that inhabit our ponds. But I respect the choice of others to rid themselves of it, if that's what they want. I really do think it's a losing battle as it is what will naturally develop in a pond--and if it means having to haul out the fish to bleach out the pond, I do think that's an extreme step. I try not to catch a fish unless I feel it has something I need to look at more closely or if I need to cull a fish that is no longer wanted because I have acquired a new specimen.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I think that anyone who adds chemicals to their ponds shoud be made to drink the same thing they just subjected their fish to.

Every time I see a post where there is small problem either the poster is adding stuff or someone who knows very little about the problem is advising chemicals like a back yard drug dealer.

I am sick of reading about all these remedies from drugstore cowboys.

That is my 2 cents...

Ask a Question