Clear Water

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have had my 1300 Gal. pond for about 20 Years in PA. It has never been crystal clear even with a UV light. late last summer i made a filter out of a five gallon bucket for less than $25.00. My water has been crystal clear since. Simple to make.

Attachments

• IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
I am probably the only one imagining how to make a filter from a 5 gallon bucket so please share the secret so I can sleep! My pond isn’t even months old so lots of green water. And your pond looks great.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I know one way you can do it by lining the pot or bucket w/filter media like matala pads etc. Pot has to have some holes in it. you set your pump in the center of all that media and run a tube out from the pump. Put a lid on the pot using a round piece of media and make a slit for cord and tubing to come out the top. Set it on the bottom of pond. It works but I find it a pain to lift out of the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had my 1300 Gal. pond for about 20 Years in PA. It has never been crystal clear even with a UV light. late last summer i made a filter out of a five gallon bucket for less than $25.00. My water has been crystal clear since. Simple to make.
what filter matrix did you use? Matala? I use Matalas and have to back wash them every few days... but here in Florida the sun is pretty good at growing algae.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Biofilters work, I don't believe in UV, they cost too much and my biofilter cost about $40 to make. I love hearing stories of people figuring out stuff and not spending too much cash. Well done.

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
what filter matrix did you use? Matala? I use Matalas and have to back wash them every few days... but here in Florida the sun is pretty good at growing algae.
I just bough the coarse blue ones from Ebay and clean them about every three weeks.

Ask a Question