Clear water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I built a 4500 gallon pond last year made it through the winter didn’t lose any fish. I have 8 koi and 2 goldfish . I have a ton of plants in the pond a waterfall a 3 stage savio filtration system with a 35 watt uv light. I constantly clean the filter and still have murky water. I’ve tried different things to take the nitrates out have plenty of air ration just can’t get it clear

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Ken c to the GPF!

When you say "murky" do you mean floating debris? Or is the water kind of tea colored? If you scoop out a glass full of water, will the murkiness settle to the bottom?

You say you have tried things to take the nitrates out - do you have reason to believe the nitrates are high?

Are you using any additives or chemical treatments?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
No floating debri brownish green all the time I had it today nitrate stuff to help get rid of the excessive string algae it works pretty well cleared up for about a week made sure I scooped out all the dead matter and it’s really cloudy again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
No floating debri brownish green all the time I had it today nitrate stuff to help get rid of the excessive string algae it works pretty well cleared up for about a week made sure I scooped out all the dead matter and it’s really cloudy again
Just can’t seem to keep it clear

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

When you say "murky" do you mean floating debris? Or is the water kind of tea colored? If you scoop out a glass full of water, will the murkiness settle to the bottom?

You say you have tried things to take the nitrates out - do you have reason to believe the nitrates are high?

No chemicals

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States

No chemical treatments The nitrate out was used because the guy at the koi pond place so that would help fight the string algae As far as the water in the glass test I haven’t tried that

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No chemicals

Ok, that was a bit confusing. What did you use to get rid of the algae? And brown water isn't unusual. That's generally a sign of tannin staining in the water from organic material - probably dead algae if you used something to kill it. It is not a sign that anything is wrong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ok, that was a bit confusing. What did you use to get rid of the algae? And brown water isn't unusual. That's generally a sign of tannin staining in the water from organic material - probably dead algae if you used something to kill it. It is not a sign that anything is wrong.
I’m sorry I can’t remember offhand the name of the stuff I used I’ll find the name tomorrow and would it help if I took a picture of the pond

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Welcome, @Ken c

Pictures would definitely help.

How much circulation do you have in the pond, roughly 1.5-2x pond volume per hour should be turned over.

It is great you have a lot of plants, but what type of plants matters as well. Ones that grow quickly whether it be roots or foliage are most effective at pulling nutrients out of the water.

Also, just to add if you have excess algae you have excess nutrients. Usually proper circulation in the pond and plenty of plants will fix algae issues.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Ken c

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Thanks so much to everybody for your response . I think I figured out my problem being a new pond guy and learning as I got his forum will definitely help. When I got all my plants for the pond I replanted them in mesh baskets with garden soil and pea gravel on top I think the garden soil is feeding the algae big time.... stupid mistake going to replant tomorrow with media ...thanks again to all let you know how I make out

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

A lot of us use plain old pure clay kitty litter for the pond plants. That is what mine are all in. Walmart sells it. Others have used oil dry, the pure clay type, I.e. no additives

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
100% clay kitty litter works great for me for plant media! Might even help clear up some kinds of algae.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
So after spending a fortune on everything under the sun. It was the simplest thing in the world.I found that when the water gets real green doing a few small water changes maybe 10% of the water and adding bacteria did the trick the water was crystal clear within a week I’m convinced that bacteria does the trick.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So after spending a fortune on everything under the sun. It was the simplest thing in the world.I found that when the water gets real green doing a few small water changes maybe 10% of the water and adding bacteria did the trick the water was crystal clear within a week I’m convinced that bacteria does the trick.

I'm glad you're happy with the results @Ken c . You'll get mixed reviews on both water changes and "bacteria in the bottle" here on the GPF, but... your pond, your choice!

Ask a Question