Clearing green Water

Reaction score
Hi.
My pond is just over a year old...about 2000 Gallons. I have Goldfish and Orfe which ssem to be thriving and have bred already. There is no filter but plently of plants and I have two solar air pumps which function most of the time, at this time of year.
The water is now quite green. I was advised that Tetra Algo Rem was the solution. However on purchasing same the small print advised that in soft water (below 2 degrees of Hardness) the product can harm fish. Confusingly the tetra website states that the product shouldnt be used below 4.
I have bought two testing kits to test the softness of the water and they give completely conflicting results....though I do know we are in a soft water area.
Has anyone experience of using algo rem and can anyone recommend a reliable accurate kit fot testing water softness.

Many thanks

Reaction score
With no filter in your pond you will probably be safer (or rather your fish will be safer) letting the algae live, otherwise you might kill the algae, and your fish, when you get a sudden ammonia spike after the water clears.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I would shy away from using any algaecide for all the above reasons. Plus fish love to eat algae (Yeah salad!). If the green water is bothering you, you might use a pump to a UV filter to clear it up. Size of pump needed (gph) and power of UV is predicated on size of your pond...

If the fish are happy and thriving, it's up to you,
Chris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I would let the algae be. But if it bothers you you can try to put the output of your pump through a basket with quilt batting which will clear out any fine stuff in the water. it'll take a bit of time but then you wont shock your system too much.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't use the algaecide. If you're into DIY, you can rig up a sponge filter, something like this with your solar air pumps:
DSCN1287.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

Just Google sponge filters.

Reaction score
Even if you do manage to kill the algae without killing your fish, the algae will just sink to the bottom since you don't have a filter. Then new algae will grow and eat the old dead algae.

Reaction score
Many thanks...Ill abandon the idea of the Algo Rem. Would the sponge filter make any difference in a pond of this size??

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Many thanks...Ill abandon the idea of the Algo Rem. Would the sponge filter make any difference in a pond of this size??
For a 2000g pond, probably not. But you don't have a pump in your pond. Do you want to add a pump?

Reaction score
Pond water look or turn into green due to scattered single algae cells on water surface.
I have heard about Hydra Crystal that it is a good product to make pond water clear.

Ask a Question