Clearing murky water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Oase filter with built in UV and an in-pond pump, its been running for years with no issues.

I've noticed the water has become very murky lately. I think this might be the algae dying off. I've also noticed the duck weed has all gone too.

The filter foams are pretty clear and thick with pond lice. Not sure if thats a good sign?

I'm not after a crystal clear pond but just wondering what I can do to clear it a bit. The UV is working so I think the murk is mainly sediment.

Is there something I can fit inline with the filter box or should the filter box be working better? It never seems to accumulate much muck inside. I guess because the pond lice eat it?

The pump runs 24/7 and the pond has a lot of goldfish in which breed regularly.

The water colour is a muddy dark green/brown.

I've never cleaned the bottom of the pond in 10 years, so maybe that might be worth looking at too?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Pond lice? A bit more clarification there please.

You may want to just remove the UV - it’s just adding more dead organic material to the water. It’s only good for floating algae anyway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pond lice? A bit more clarification there please.

You may want to just remove the UV - it’s just adding more dead organic material to the water. It’s only good for floating algae anyway.
Errr, things that look like lice, Pond slater?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm interested in what these pond lice are too.
Can you post a picture?

As far as your cloudy water, maybe you should drag a fine net very slowly along the bottom to collect that 10 years of debris. Natural decaying matter can cause problems in water quality.

Could also be the UV light has killed off algae and the result is floating dead stuff clouding your water.

Could be your filter is inadequate for your fish load. Fish grow larger and produce more waste, plus they multiply, compounding the problem.

Do you have any plants?
Plants and lots of them may also help. They feed on excess nutrients that are formed from fish waste.

Just a few guesses.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Oase filter with built in UV and an in-pond pump, its been running for years with no issues.

I've noticed the water has become very murky lately. I think this might be the algae dying off. I've also noticed the duck weed has all gone too.

The filter foams are pretty clear and thick with pond lice. Not sure if thats a good sign?

I'm not after a crystal clear pond but just wondering what I can do to clear it a bit. The UV is working so I think the murk is mainly sediment.

Is there something I can fit inline with the filter box or should the filter box be working better? It never seems to accumulate much muck inside. I guess because the pond lice eat it?

The pump runs 24/7 and the pond has a lot of goldfish in which breed regularly.

The water colour is a muddy dark green/brown.

I've never cleaned the bottom of the pond in 10 years, so maybe that might be worth looking at too?

Cheers!
I would definitely consider another filtration system and include scooping the bottom when doing water changes. How often do you perform water changes and have you ever considered a bog filter? Fortunately I've never experienced foam with my bog filter.

Ask a Question